Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Class Lesson May 1, 2011

Hey Gang,

This Sunday we begin a whole new 5 week series entitled, “Taking the Lead.” When God gives someone an opportunity to lead, He also encourages and empowers that person to accomplish the task. However, we must accept and embrace the responsibility. 

One of the greatest needs of our time is leadership – the right kind of leadership. This is true in politics, business, the church, and the home. A person does not become a leader by filling a position, and many who lead have no official position. This study is to help you embrace that you can – and must – exercise leadership in some situation or area of your life. We will examine 5 biblical characters to show actions through which we as Christians can exercise spiritual leadership.

5 Lessons in This Series


Overcome Your FearsWhat can I do to overcome my fears about leading?

Use Your InfluenceWhat influence do I have and how can I use it for God’s purposes?

Walk With GodHow important is my private and public walk with the Lord?

Pursue God’s AgendaAs a spiritual leader, what should be my agenda?

Invest In OthersWhat do I need to do to invest in others? 



The Marine Corps is always a good place to start when looking for examples of leadership.

Click Here





People can have fears of almost anything, especially having to lead! This lesson is about identifying and overcoming the fears that prevent us from being the spiritual leaders God wants us to be.

What can I do to overcome my fears about leading?


Do you think God expects all of us to be leaders in some way like the home, church, the workplace, and even the government?



Our biblical character this week is Joshua. We pick-up in Joshua chapter one where the death of Moses has presented a new challenge to the people of Israel. They are positioned beyond the Jordan River in the plains of Moab, where the 12 tribes are observing the land God had promised them. To claim their inheritance would be no easy task. People already living in the land would not yield their land easily or willingly. As Joshua assumed leadership from Moses, he knew only the power of God could grant fulfillment of the ancient promise.

The Books of Joshua and Judges tell the story of conquest and settlement. Joshua concentrates on the initial phase of the process, while Judges tells of the struggles of the tribes to possess and settle the land. The conquest was a process that extended over many generations and was not fully completed until the time of David and Solomon (1000 - 922 B.C.).



           I. ACCEPT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY – JOSHUA 1:1-5
Encouragement of Joshua
 1 After the death of Moses the LORD's servant, the LORD spoke to Joshua son of Nun, who had served Moses: 2 "Moses My servant is dead. Now you and all the people prepare to cross over the Jordan to the land I am giving the Israelites. 3 I have given you every place where the sole of your foot treads, just as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will be from the wilderness and Lebanon to the great Euphrates River—all the land of the Hittites —and west to the Mediterranean Sea. 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. I will be with you, just as I was with Moses. I will not leave you or forsake you.


How ready do you think Joshua felt about leading at this time and why? What mixed feeling might he have had?



What’s the advantage of leading from an official position? How about from an unofficial position?



The Hebrew people were poised at the edge of the Promised Land. Why do you think God gave this leadership to Joshua?


What did God give Joshua besides responsibility? What’s the relationship between God-given responsibilities and God-given promises?



According to these verses, what are God’s ways to overcome fears of leadership and accept our responsibilities?





           II. HEAR GOD’S COMMAND – JOSHUA 1:6-9

6 "Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. 7 Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. 8 This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. 9 Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

What is the relationship between the commands God gave Joshua and the promises? Which command do you think rang over and over in Joshua’s ears throughout his years as a leader?



          III. ACT COURAGEOUSLY – JOSHUA 1:10-11, 16-18

Joshua Prepares the People
 10 Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people: 11 "Go through the camp and tell the people, 'Get provisions ready for yourselves, for within three days you will be crossing the Jordan to go in and take possession of the land the LORD your God is giving you to inherit.

…………………………………………………………………

16 They answered Joshua, "Everything you have commanded us we will do, and everywhere you send us we will go. 17 We will obey you, just as we obeyed Moses in everything. And may the LORD your God be with you, as He was with Moses. 18 Anyone who rebels against your order and does not obey your words in all that you command him, will be put to death. Above all, be strong and courageous!"


When you know you need to step up and lead in a situation, do you usually act immediately or wait awhile? What did Joshua do?



In what areas of your life are you a spiritual leader? What do you consider the most important qualities of godly leaders?




Have a blessed rest of the week as we prepare to hear from God's Word this Sunday on leadership!






Look what I found and we all thought Thomas was a Carolina Fan!



Come on Thomas, give me a hug!



That's my boy!


Don't forget to mark your calendars for May 13, 2011 - it's our PROGRESSIVE DINNER night!

See you on Sunday!

In His Love,

David & Susan








No comments:

Post a Comment