Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Class Lesson May 8, 2011


Hey Gang,



Guess what this Sunday is? Be sure to give a BIG hug of thanks to your mom!

Mothers are the most influential people in the entire world. If you are a mother, it's important  that  you see that this is the role God has assigned you in life and it must never be diminished. It was through the woman that God chose to shape us, give us form and substance and life! Read below what some in history and even today have said about their mom's influence.

A Mother’s Influence

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother." - Abraham Lincoln



"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."- Henry Ward Beecher



"The future destiny of a child is always the work of the mother."- Napoleon Bonaparte



"To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power."  - Maya Angelou



"My mother never gave up on me. I messed up in school so much they were sending me home, but my mother sent me right back."- Denzel Washington



"My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier you'll be a general; if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope." Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso."  - Pablo Picasso


The highest calling on earth is that of a Mother - Recognize your influence and determine to use it in timely ways.



Below is the second lesson in our series of five on Leadership. Last week we looked at Joshua and how he overcame his fear of leading the Israelites into the Promise Land - it was quiet an undertaking for him. The important emphasis for Joshua was God's promise to him of his success as long as he obeyed God's instructions. In this week's lesson there is no promise of success or even safety as Esther must choose to use her influence to save the Jewish nation.  



The Story of Esther

Main Characters: King Xerxes, Queen Vashti, Mordecai, Esther, and Haman.

Questions: Why did the King divorce Queen Vashti? Who was Mordecai? What was Esther’s real name? How did Esther become Queen? Why did Haman order the genocide of all the Jews? Why was Esther’s position of influence believed to be part of God’s providence? What Jewish Feast is still celebrated today because of Esther?

Esther
Lesson's Life Goal: Recognize your influence and determine to use it in timely ways.




I. GOD GAVE YOU INFLUENCE – ESTHER 4:12-14

When Hathach told Mordecai what Esther had said, Mordecai sent her this message: "Don't think that just because you live in the king's house you're the one Jew who will get out of this alive. If you persist in staying silent at a time like this, help and deliverance will arrive for the Jews from someplace else; but you and your family will be wiped out. Who knows? Maybe you were made queen for just such a time as this."


Why would Esther have persisted in staying silent?



Why are we as Christians many times tempted to remain silent? How can we know when to be silent and when to speak up?


Why do you suppose Mordecai used “Maybe” and “such a time as this”?



How did Mordecai convey to Esther that she mattered and yet her life wasn’t all about her?



Where might God have placed you for “such a time as this”? How does potential for influence become influence?





II. WORK AS A TEAM – ESTHER 4:15-17


Esther sent back her answer to Mordecai: "Go and get all the Jews living in Susa together. Fast for me. Don't eat or drink for three days, either day or night. I and my maids will fast with you. If you will do this, I'll go to the king, even though it's forbidden. If I die, I die." Mordecai left and carried out Esther's instructions.



Are you more likely to think you have no influence and do nothing or jump into action without asking God to be the ultimate influencer?




Who are we declaring matters the most when we try to influence a situation without first seeking God’s favor?




God’s name is not mentioned in Esther, but His influence is evident throughout. How?





III. INFLUENCE FOR GOD’S SAKE – ESTHER 8:3-8


Then Esther again spoke to the king, falling at his feet, begging with tears to counter the evil of Haman the Agagite and revoke the plan that he had plotted against the Jews. The king extended his gold scepter to Esther. She got to her feet and stood before the king. She said, "If it please the king and he regards me with favor and thinks this is right, and if he has any affection for me at all, let an order be written that cancels the bulletins authorizing the plan of Haman son of Hammedatha the Agagite to annihilate the Jews in all the king's provinces. How can I stand to see this catastrophe wipe out my people? How can I bear to stand by and watch the massacre of my own relatives?" King Xerxes said to Queen Esther and Mordecai the Jew: "I've given Haman's estate to Esther and he's been hanged on the gallows because he attacked the Jews. So go ahead now and write whatever you decide on behalf of the Jews; then seal it with the signet ring." (An order written in the king's name and sealed with his signet ring is irrevocable.)



Why is this understanding key to godly influence? It’s not all about me.




Do you think Esther considered herself a leader?




On Mother’s Day – remember your mom’s influence and thank God for her. If your mother is still living – do something special for her!


I hope that everyone enjoys a blessed rest of the week as we prepare to celebrate our mothers this Sunday and their profound influence on our lives! The story of Esther is a fitting lesson for Mother's Day as we examine the powerful influence Esther made in history.

See you Sunday!

In His Love,

David & Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment