Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Class Lesson October 17th

Hey Gang,

Sunday the 10th we will be in the Life Center during Sunday school listening to our Church's Kingdom Cause II question and answer opportunity.  The mission continues...

Sunday the 17th we will resume our series on Apologetics and making our case for Jesus by discussing why "Good" isn't good enough. 

Do good people go to heaven? Well, a grandmother of 90 years of good living, standing by her dying husband till the end, serving her community, loving her grandchildren, paying her taxes, and driving the speed limit ... is asked by her granddaughter, "Grandma, we've never really talked about heaven before. Are you sure that when you die you will go to heaven?" The grandmother got big tears in her eyes and responded the way the average good person responds to this question. She said, "I hope so, honey."

Why is it, that really good people at best can only "hope so" when it comes to knowing whether or not they will go to heaven? 


Well, we're going to talk about that, but first we have a special guest coming to our class this week to answer an empty-nest parenting question that is relevant to each of us.


Ask Dr. Phil

How possible is it to have a helpful discussion with your young adult children when we see them making fuzzy moral choices and they don't want our input?

Both questions above frame our lesson this week on The Case for Jesus. In our lesson we will see Dr. Phil, I mean Isaiah tell Judah that they have learned to rationalize their evil ways. (Isaiah 5:20-23) Next we will watch and read how Isaiah is given a vision of the holiness of God and what this means to how we see "Good." (Isaiah 6:1-5) And finally Paul will tie everything together in Romans 3:21-26 where he explains the importance of "Righteousness" through Jesus.  Why isn't good, good enough? Hope you have an answer for that.

This lesson is the halfway point in our overall series on Apologetics. Not that there's going to be a final exam or anything, but hopefully you are drawing some conclusions and explanations for the hope you have in your heart, the faith you have in Jesus, and the reason you have chosen to follow the Christian life. I don't know about you, but a turning point for me was the experience and revelation that Isaiah had in the presence of God... wow.

I can't wait to go through this lesson...see you on Sunday!

A couple of updates:
  1. Class Prayer Groups - If you are interested in a Saturday morning prayer and support group, please contact Brenda Stephens for the ladies and Clif Dunaway for the men. 
  2. Trunk or Treat - Our class will be sponsoring two "Trunks" Saturday, October 30th and having a coffee and dessert social following the Trunk or Treat event. All you have to do is bring a bag of candy (one bag per family) to the event and help give the candy out to the kids. 
  3. Class Project - We are going to prepare, as a class project, 30 care packages for a unit of military personnel in Afghanistan right now serving our country. The plan is to prepare these packages and mail them out in time for Thanksgiving - what an opportunity to give thanks! Monica and Larand Spencer are facilitating this project and will update us in class on the 17th.

Have a blessed week everyone.

In His Love,

David and Susan 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment