Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Class Lesson for August 23, 2026

 Series: Pray this way...



Sermon Recap

Luke 18:9–14 contrasts two men who went to the temple to pray: a Pharisee confident in his own righteousness, and a tax collector who could only cry out, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.” Jesus says it is the tax collector, not the Pharisee, who went home justified. This parable teaches that prayer is not a platform for self-congratulation but a posture of humility. True repentance does not compare itself favorably to others; it simply casts itself on the mercy of God.

 

Wayne’s notes from his sermon last Sunday: Luke 18:9-14


 

Luke 18:9-14

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

“He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and treated others with contempt: ‘Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: “God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.” But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!” I tell you; this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.’”

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Luke 18:9-14.

 

Discussion Questions

  1. What stands out to you most in Luke 18:9-14?
  2. Why do you think the Pharisee's prayer, despite sounding religious, was not acceptable to God?
  3. What made the tax collector's prayer different, both in content and posture?
  4. Why is it so easy to slip into comparing our own righteousness to other people's, even unintentionally?
  5. What is the difference between conviction that leads to humble confession and shame that leads to hiding?
  6. What would it look like for you to pray more like the tax collector this week?

 

Closing Thoughts

The Pharisee’s prayer reminds us how easily comparison and self-righteousness can creep into community, while the tax collector’s prayer shows what genuine humility before God sounds like. As a group, we can model honest confession with one another, refuse to compare our sin against someone else’s, and remind each other that our standing before God is never based on our performance but always on His mercy. A group marked by humility becomes a safe place for real transformation to happen.

 

END




No comments:

Post a Comment