Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Monday, November 28, 2022

NEW SERIES BEGINS December 4, 2022

 

Putting Fear in Its Place

We all deal with fear. Some people resign themselves to fear, and some people do everything they can to avoid those things that make them afraid. Yet some people deal with fear by surrender. I don’t mean they surrender to the fear, but they surrender their fear to God. They’ve learned to trust God and walk with Him — even in the midst of fear!

All of us can live that way, because trusting in God forces our fear to take a backseat.




Click Play to Watch


Join us on this journey through the Bible about fear. We’re going to learn from others and pick up some tools for the journey. Along the way we’ll learn to exercise our faith and trust God.

It’s time we put fear in its place.



Exercise Faith. Fear can strike us in many ways, but we stand strong as we trust in the character of God. Our faith is to reside in who He is because God is greater than any of our fears.

 

Putting Fear in Its Place – 6 Lessons

1       The Fear of God - Psalm 33:6-15,18-22

2       Security in Place of Fear - Romans 8:28-39

3       Love in Place of Fear - 1 John 3:13-18; 4:14-18

4       Submission to God in Place of Fear - Luke 1:26-38

5       Courage in Place of Fear - Matthew 14:22-33

6       Joy in Place of Fear - Zephaniah 3:9-20 


1

The Fear of God



Question 1: When is a time you felt a healthy fear?


THE POINT: 

The fear of God gives us the foundation to face all other fears.


THE BIBLE MEETS LIFE

I like new adventures, and a recent trip to New Mexico was just that. The colors alone were a stark reminder that I was no longer on the east coast. To get to my destination, I drove through some beautiful mountains, but they were also steep, and the road had many twists and turns. This was unfamiliar terrain, and I was keenly aware of the steep drop-offs and winding roads.

I got a bit of a pit in my stomach. Navigating this unfamiliar terrain led me to a place of fear, but it was a healthy fear. It was a fear that heightened my senses. Consequently, I drove in the safest way I could. You didn’t have to tell me not to text and drive; I was not going to take my attention off what was around me.

Franklin Roosevelt once said, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself,” but that statement is simply not true. One fear is necessary and beneficial: fear of God. We will see this healthy fear of God as we navigate Psalm 33; this is a healthy fear that leads us to better navigate life.


WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

Psalm 33:6-9

6 The heavens were made by the word of the Lord, and all the stars, by the breath of his mouth. 7 He gathers the water of the sea into a heap; he puts the depths into storehouses. 8 Let the whole earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. 9 For he spoke, and it came into being; he commanded, and it came into existence.

The Psalms are a collection of Hebrew poetry, used as both songs and prayers, bending the reader to worship God. The Psalms cover a litany of circumstances and the many twists and turns of life. Whatever I’m walking through, I have found the Psalms are a great place to turn for wisdom and a glimpse of how others navigated the tricky maze of life.

Psalm 33 calls us to praise the Lord for who He is. We’re not sure who wrote this psalm, but the psalmist points us to God’s attributes, His Word, and His creative power and work. Beginning in verse 6, the psalmist painted a poetic picture of the work of God. The psalm unveiled a symphony proclaiming who God is. No one is like God; He can speak things into existence. No one has ever been able to create something from nothing with his hands, but God can do the unbelievable with just His words!

When we stand on the beach looking out at the ocean, we marvel at the vastness of it all. But as massive as the ocean is, God is greater. “He gathers the water of the sea into a heap; he puts the depths into storehouses” (v. 7). The psalmist was genuinely in awe of the grandness and the magnitude of God. An awareness of God’s glory, grandeur, and power as Creator should draw us into a response of fear and awe. This leads him to fear God because he is standing in awe of God as the Creator. “Let the whole earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him” (v. 8).

Question 2:

What are some things in God’s creation that leave you in awe of Him?

I was once part of a team doing mission work in Brooklyn, New York. We hosted Backyard Bible Clubs, engaging kids in the neighborhood with games, food, and fun. This allowed us the opportunity to share the gospel. On one occasion, we talked about how God spoke the world into existence and made everything out of nothing. The students were indeed in awe. Some of the reactions were “Wow” and “No way!” Their awe of God in that moment reminds me of this psalmist’s response. His awe led him to fear God because he recognized the bigness of God and what his God was able to do.

Psalm 33:10-15

10 The Lord frustrates the counsel of the nations; he thwarts the plans of the peoples. 11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart from generation to generation. 12 Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord—the people he has chosen to be his own possession! 13 The Lord looks down from heaven; he observes everyone. 14 He gazes on all the inhabitants of the earth from his dwelling place. 15 He forms the hearts of them all; he considers all their works.

We can choose our way, or we can choose God’s way. But when our ways conflict with God’s way, we can be sure our plans will fail. The way of wisdom is to always begin with God’s plans. He foils and thwarts the plans of everyone and everything else. Everything else is second tier to God. “The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart from generation to generation” (v. 11).

We should have awe and a healthy fear of God in light of who He is and what He has done. This healthy fear of God moves us to walk in obedience to His ways. As we recognize who He is, we respond accordingly.

When I was young and my dad called my name, no matter how crowded the room was or what was going on, I would respond by coming toward his voice, leaving lesser things behind. I did so because I recognized my father, who he was, and the role he played in my life. When we know who God is and the role He plays in our lives, we are likewise motivated to act in obedience.

As we consider God’s plans and power, let’s also consider His perspective and posture. As we read in verses 13-15, God is aware of everything. For some, this might cause a fear more akin to terror, fearful because God sees all and He’s out to “get them.” However, when we consider the character of the all-powerful, all-knowing God revealed in His Word, we know He is a good and holy king who knows what is going on in His kingdom and with His people. He is not out to smite us! He seeks to extend His love and care to us. Considering this, we seek to live obediently, in a way that pleases Him.

Question 3:

Why is it so hard to put God’s plans above our own?

Growing up, my mom was my Sunday School teacher. I knew if I stepped out of line in class, my mom would speak to me, correcting my behavior with discipline that I didn’t want to experience. Knowing my mom knew what was best helped me to live in a healthier way that would yield joy, not pain. This is true to a far greater degree with God, our good master who sees all and knows what is best. This should lead us to live differently because we want to please and honor Him.

Psalm 33:18-22

18 But look, the Lord keeps his eye on those who fear him—those who depend on his faithful love 19 to rescue them from death and to keep them alive in famine. 20 We wait for the Lord; he is our help and shield. 21 For our hearts rejoice in him because we trust in his holy name. 22 May your faithful love rest on us, Lord, for we put our hope in you.

Some people might be wary of the statement, “But look, the Lord keeps his eye on those who fear him,” as if God was like a stern drill instructor calling down a soldier: “I’ve got my eye on you!” That’s not the case, as the rest of verse 18 makes clear: God keeps His eye on “those who depend on his faithful love.” Because God keeps His eye on those who humbly fear Him, He knows when they need rescue or deliverance.

Question 4:

When have you experienced God’s protection or provision?

Such love and protection means that God will also discipline us when we need it. In this psalm we see God’s protection and rescue, and sometimes His protection means He protects us from the harm we might do to ourselves through sin. Let me use soccer as an example. Soccer players know where the boundaries of the field are. Stepping outside those lines leads to a penalty. Inherent in that penalty is the reminder of the rules of the game and to succeed and win the game, you must stay within the rules. In that sense, the “discipline” of a penalty benefits the players.

Seeing how God works on our behalf as our shield and provider should lead us to respond with love and awe, confidently resting in Him. We have protection because we can see how He loves us and is attentive to us and our needs. A key phrase that captures this confident rest is in verse 20: “We wait for the Lord.” The Hebrew word for “wait” captures the idea of looking toward something with a confident hope. We often wait for individuals, say for a lunch meeting, but we have no guarantee they will come. But waiting on God is a sure thing. We wait for Him with a confident trust. We know “he is our help and shield” and His “faithful love rest on us.” As the psalmist began verse 20 with a reference to waiting on the Lord, he ended this section in verse 22 with a parallel statement: “We put our hope in you.”

Why do we fear God? We fear Him because we know with full assurance and confidence that He protects us and provides for us.

Question 5:

What practices have helped increase your dependence on God?

IN AWE OF GOD


Choose one of the following images that best causes you to stand in awe of God. 

Below the images, write a prayer of praise. 




My Prayer:


________________________________


“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”

PROVERBS 1:7A


LIVE IT OUT

The fear of God gives us the foundation to face all other fears. Choose one of the following applications:


Pray. Read through Psalm 33, making it your own prayer. Reflect on the greatness of God and confess any attitude that did not reflect an awe and holy fear of God.


Memorize. Choose a verse about the fear of God and memorize it to continually remind yourself of your relationship with God and the benefits of a proper attitude toward Him. Here are two verses to consider: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Prov. 1:7). “Don’t be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil” (Prov. 3:7).


Meet. Surrender your plans to God. Trust Him in His great power and love to lead you as He sees best. Meet with a godly friend, perhaps even your spouse, to reevaluate some plans in light of this truth.


When we see God for who He is in all His greatness, glory, and absolute power, we recognize His authority and power over us. Let’s live differently in our day-to-day lives based upon this truth! 

Teacher's Notes:





Click Play to Watch


When is a time you felt a healthy fear?

 

We all deal with fear.

Some people resign themselves to fear, and some people do everything they can to avoid those things that make them afraid. Yet some people deal with fear by surrender – not to the fear - but to God. They’ve learned to trust God and walk with Him — even in the midst of fear! We can all live that way because trusting in God forces our fear to take a backseat.

It’s time we put fear in its place.

 

 

How often do you think about “fearing” the Lord as a part of your relationship with Him?

This morning we are going to see how as Christians, having a healthy fear of God and His power, is both biblical and sensible. It helps us see God — and ourselves — more clearly. Fearing the Lord simply means understanding His power — standing in awe of His greatness — while keeping in mind that He wields His power in love for His children.

 

The Fear of God

Psalm 33:6-9,10-15, and 18-22

 

The Psalms are a collection of Hebrew poetry, used as both songs and prayers, bending the reader to worship God. The Psalms cover a litany of circumstances and the many twists and turns of life. Whatever I’m walking through, I have found the Psalms are a great place to turn for wisdom and a glimpse of how others navigated the tricky maze of life.

Psalm 33 calls us to praise the Lord for who He is. We’re not sure who wrote this psalm, but the psalmist points us to God’s attributes, His Word, and His creative power and work.

 

Read Psalm 33:6-9

 

Psalm 33:6-9

The heavens were made by the word of the Lord, and all the stars, by the breath of his mouth. He gathers the water of the sea into a heap; he puts the depths into storehouses. Let the whole earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spoke, and it came into being; he commanded, and it came into existence.

 

In verse 6, the psalmist paints a poetic picture of the work of God. The psalm unveiled a symphony proclaiming who God is. No one is like God; He speaks things into existence. He creates things from nothing. God does the unbelievable with just His words!

 

The psalmist is genuinely in awe of the grandness and the magnitude of God.

 

I.         We fear God when we stand in awe of Him as Creator.

 

What in God’s creation moves you to awe and worship?

In Awe of God: Paul David Tripp - October 1, 2014

I should start with an admission. I wrote this book for me. I am an Epicurean of sorts. I love the visual arts, I love great music, and I love food of all kinds. A beautiful, well-executed painting leaves me in awe. A band’s well-constructed album leaves me amazed and wanting more. The memory of a tasting menu at a great restaurant leaves me wanting to recreate dishes and revisit the establishment. None of these things are wrong in themselves. God intended us to be in awe of his creation, but that awe cannot and should not be an end in itself.

I wrote this book for me because, at this point in my life, I am more aware than ever that I have a fickle and wandering heart. I wish I could say that every moment I enjoy some created thing initiates in me a deeper worship of the Creator, but it doesn’t. Empirical evidence in my life betrays that I give my heart to the worship of the thing that has been made rather than the One who made it — spending when I don’t really have a need, envying what someone else has, or eating when I’m not really that hungry.

I wrote this book for me because I am aware that I need to spend more time gazing upon the beauty of the Lord. I need to put my heart in a place where it can once again be in awe of the grandeur of God that reaches far beyond the bounds of the most expressive words in the human vocabulary. I need awe of Him to recapture, refocus, and redirect my heart again and again. And I need to remember that the war for the awe of my heart still wages inside me.

I wrote this book for me because I need to examine what kind of awe shapes my thoughts, desires, words, choices, and actions in the situations and relationships that make up my everyday life. Three years ago, I lost forty pounds. Writing this book reminded me that my weight gain was a spiritual issue, a matter of my heart before God. Like all other forms of subtle idolatry, it didn’t happen overnight. If you gain half a pound per month, you will not notice it. But that’s six pounds per year, and in five years you will have put on thirty pounds. Sadly, I had to confess the sin of gluttony, put food in its proper place, and cry out for the grace to worship the Giver, not His gifts.

I wrote this book for me because I came to see that I was wired for awe, that awe of something sits at the bottom of everything I say and do. But I wasn’t just wired for awe. I was wired for awe of God. No other awe satisfies the soul. No other awe can give my heart the peace, rest, and security that it seeks. I came to see that I needed to trace the awe of God down to the most mundane of human decisions and activities.

I wrote this book for me, but because I did, it’s a book though for you as well. I know that you are like me. The war that rages in my heart rages in yours as well. Things in the creation not only capture me, but they also capture you too. Like me, you need to spend more time gazing upon the awesome beauty of your Lord so that your heart will remember and, in remembering, be rescued.

 

Paul David Tripp, Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say and Do (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2015).

 

 

Psalm 33:10-15

The Lord frustrates the counsel of the nations; he thwarts the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart from generation to generation. Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord — the people he has chosen to be his own possession! The Lord looks down from heaven; he observes everyone. He gazes on all the inhabitants of the earth from his dwelling place. He forms the hearts of them all; he considers all their works.

 

II.         We fear God when we willingly surrender to His plans as Lord.

 

What causes us to choose our plans over the plans of God?

God is not detached or disinterested from His creation. He watches over all humankind both to observe and to influence their thoughts and behavior. We are accountable to Him - He made us; He knows who we are, what we think, and what we do.

We can choose our way, or we can choose God’s way.

But when our ways conflict with God’s way, we can be sure our plans will fail. Always begin with God’s plans. He foils and thwarts the plans of everyone and everything else. Everything else is second tier to God.

We should have awe and a healthy fear of God considering who He is and what He has done. This healthy fear of God moves us to walk in obedience to His ways. As we recognize who He is, we respond accordingly.

As we consider God’s plans and power, let’s also consider His perspective and posture. As we read in verses 13-15, God is aware of everything. For some, this might cause a fear more akin to terror, fearful because God sees all and He’s out to “get them.” However, when we consider the character of the all-powerful, all-knowing God revealed in His Word, we know He is a good and holy king who knows what is going on in His kingdom and with His people. He is not out to smite us! He seeks to extend His love and care to us. Considering this, we seek to live obediently, in a way that pleases Him.

 

 

Psalm 33:18-22

But look, the Lord keeps his eye on those who fear him — those who depend on his faithful love to rescue them from death and to keep them alive in famine. We wait for the Lord; he is our help and shield. For our hearts rejoice in him because we trust in his holy name. May your faithful love rest on us, Lord, for we put our hope in you.

 

III.         We fear God when we depend on Him as our Shield and Provider.

When have you seen God provide for you in unexpected ways?

When have you felt God’s protection over you?

What practices help you depend on God?

 

 

God is ever-present. He lavishes His love, mercy, life, help, care, and joy on those who trust Him.  

Some people might be wary of the statement, “But look, the Lord keeps his eye on those who fear him,” as if God was like a stern drill instructor calling down a soldier: “I’ve got my eye on you!” That’s not the case, as the rest of verse 18 makes clear: God keeps His eye on “those who depend on his faithful love.” Because God keeps His eye on those who humbly fear Him, He knows when they need rescue or deliverance.

Such love and protection means that God will also discipline us when we need it. In this psalm we see God’s protection and rescue, and sometimes His protection means He protects us from the harm we might do to ourselves through sin.

Seeing and knowing how God works on our behalf as our shield and provider should lead us to respond with love and awe, confidently resting in Him. We have protection because we can see how He loves us and is attentive to us and our needs. A key phrase that captures this confident rest is in verse 20: “We wait for the Lord.” The Hebrew word for “wait” captures the idea of looking toward something with a confident hope. Waiting on God is a sure thing. We wait for Him with a confident trust.

 

Why do we fear God?

We fear Him because we know with full assurance and confidence that He protects us and provides for us.

 

 

THE POINT

The fear of God gives us the foundation to face all other fears.

 

 

We all are afraid of something.

“The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.”

Oswald Chambers

 

 

Conclusion

Remember This…

 

For the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God.

For the believer, the fear of God is something much different. The believer’s fear is reverence and awe of God. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

 

 

Hobbs Setting

Consider the use of the word fear in verses 8 and 18 in this Scripture passage. The Hebrew word (yare’) can include the idea of terror, but it is more commonly used as the proper response to authority. It carries with it the expectations of obedience and submission. While it can be applied to humans in authority, the word is used most frequently in reference to God. We revere Him; stand in awe before Him; hence, we praise Him.

With verse 6 the psalmist began to list some reasons why the Lord is worthy of praise, to be feared or held in awe. He is Creator (vv. 6-9)—He made all things; He is Sustainer—the God of heaven who continues to interact with the inhabitants of the earth (vv. 10-15); and He is a faithful Protector and Provider during great times of need, especially to those who fear or revere Him (vv. 18-22). Holy worship glorifies the Lord and enriches the lives of those who worship Him with great joy.

 

Proverbs 1:7 declares, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge.” Until we understand who God is and develop a reverential fear of Him, we cannot have true wisdom. True wisdom comes only from understanding who God is and that He is holy, just, and righteous. Deuteronomy 10:12, 20-21 records, “And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Fear the LORD your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.” The fear of God is the basis for our walking in His ways, serving Him, and, yes, loving Him.

 

Some redefine the fear of God for believers to “respecting” Him. While respect is definitely included in the concept of fearing God, there is more to it than that. A biblical fear of God, for the believer, includes understanding how much God hates sin and fearing His judgment on sin—even in the life of a believer. Hebrews 12:5-11 describes God’s discipline of the believer.

“And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”

 

While it is done in love (Hebrews 12:6), it is still a fearful thing. As children, the fear of discipline from our parents no doubt prevented some evil actions. The same should be true in our relationship with God. We should fear His discipline, and therefore seek to live our lives in such a way that pleases Him.

 

Believers are not to be scared of God. We have no reason to be scared of Him. We have His promise that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39). We have His promise that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Fearing God means having such a reverence for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives. The fear of God is respecting Him, obeying Him, submitting to His discipline, and worshiping Him in awe.

 

 

The pagan King Nebuchadnezzar witnessed the miraculous power of the Lord Most High. The wondrous deeds he experienced included a dream that was revealed and interpreted, three Hebrews being delivered from a fiery furnace, and the loss and restoration of Nebuchadnezzar’s sanity and kingdom. In response, Nebuchadnezzar enthusiastically praised the God of wonders: “It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me. How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation” (Daniel 4:2–3).



















No comments:

Post a Comment