Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Class Lesson July 17, 2011

Hey Gang,


What a powerful series this has been on Freedom in Christ: Make it Personal! 
 
Our first lesson on Personal Rights opened us up to the age old temptation of self-indulgence. You know, the idea that my personal rights mean my uninhibited right to do whatever I want to whenever I want to. We can see this in almost every facet of society today. We see children wanting to do their own thing without any restrictions from parents or any other authority figures. We see people wanting the right to free sexual expression with whomever they chose. Some want to be free to make their own choices about life and death, whether it be their own or that of another person. With freedom comes responsibility and accountability. According to the first amendment of the Constitution, I have the right to free speech. However, that freedom must be tempered with responsibility. I am not free to say whatever I want about anyone or speak in such a way as to disrupt order, for example, yelling fire in a crowded theater. The fourth amendment allows a person the right to bear arms. However, he can't just walk into a store and obtain a gun and shoot it whenever and wherever. Parents give their children certain freedoms. A child wants to go to his friend's house; the parent grants the child the freedom to do so. Yet, the parent establishes a curfew. If the child violates the curfew, the freedom to visit his friend is taken away. In all these realms we understand the relationship between law and freedom. Yet, in the realm of the word of God most people do not understand it. So, the first lesson in attaining freedom in Christ was to learn and understand how to reject self-indulgence or wanting to be free from being so all about me!

Last week's lesson had to do with Personal Checklists. This lesson centered on a freedom attained only by keeping the law - legalism, is another name for this. Paul explained that there is nothing you can do to earn your freedom in Christ. First of all there is no way anyone can keep the entire law! Paul said that freedom comes by living by God's grace. Yes the law has an important place in your daily walk - it protects you from yourself! But your salvation and freedom in Christ is not based on your ability to keep the law. You should feel a sense of freedom in knowing this!
 


What does freedom really mean to you? Does that meaning change if I ask about spiritual freedom?
 
Here is a hard one - did you know that there is freedom in forgiveness? I'm talking about you being able to forgive someone else. 
 
Click Here
 
 
In the two previous lessons we have seen two ways that produce slavery rather than the freedom they promised. Living with revenge toward someone is another form of slavery - God wants you to be free from all of this! How, by having a personal relationship with God.



Our lesson this week says you can live free, you can live in the light, and you can live having been loved by God! This is what freedom is all about – it’s a personal relationship with God.





I. LIVE FREE! – GALATIANS 4:1-7


Now I say that as long as the heir is a child, he differs in no way from a slave, though he is the owner of everything. Instead, he is under guardians and stewards until the time set by his father. In the same way we also, when we were children, were in slavery under the elemental forces of the world. But when the completion of the time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba , Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.


How would you describe your relationship with your adult kids? How has it changed over time?






What does freedom mean to you? Does that meaning change if I ask about spiritual freedom?






What does it mean to live spiritually free?
 
 
 
 


II. LIVE IN THE LIGHT! – 1 JOHN 1:5-9


Fellowship with God


Now this is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in Him. If we say, "We have fellowship with Him," and walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practicing the truth. But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say, "We have no sin," we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.



How do you relate freedom with walking in the light versus darkness?






According to John, what cures living in darkness?






How do we know confession really makes a difference?




How do we move from darkness to light according to verses 7-8?
 
 
 


III. LIVE LOVED! – 1 JOHN 3:1-3


Look at how great a love the Father has given us, that we should be called God's children. And we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it didn't know Him. Dear friends, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself just as He is pure.




Why is there no freedom outside of Christ?




How can you find more freedom in Christ?






Our lesson this week focuses on one crucial aspect of finding freedom – personal relationship with Christ. His purpose in coming was to provide the forgiveness that makes possible life in Christ. Through faith in Him our sins are forgiven.


Prayer of Commitment

Lord, help me grow in gratitude for my freedom in Christ. help me never to take it for granted or abuse it. Amen.
 
 
We have missed you these past two Sundays! Let's prepare ourselves for God's personal message to each of us this week about true freedom in Christ.
 
In His Love,
 
David & Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment