Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Class Lesson June 26, 2011


Hey Gang,

This month’s series has been on putting money and possessions in their proper place. It has been humbling, but also freeing to know that God owns and gives us everything we have. Everything we have whether it's money, clothes, cars, homes, jobs, relationships, family, even the very air we breath is simply on loan to us to take care of while we are here on earth. 

Could I be “a fool” in my preparation for my financial future - is my treasure here on earth or in heaven? Can I honestly say that God and not money is my master? 

Last week we read that people have the propensity to live for the next thing – the next weekend, the next vacation, the next purchase, and the next experience. They never seem to be satisfied – never content. We learned that ambition is a fine line we walk because our focus is on us and not on Him. Paul says, “In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret [of being content] – whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.” The secret of contentment is to find our sufficiency in Christ, and not in material things.


This week we wrap up this series with the importance of GENEROSITY.


If you were to read all the verses in the Bible dealing with money, you would find that a vast number of them are about giving to the work of the Lord and helping people in need. Over and over, God tells us to be generous people.


The reason God gives us wealth is so we can be generous.
Many people don't understand the importance of generosity. They hold on tightly to what they own, unaware that selfishness often causes financial difficulties.


You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God (2 Corinthians 9:11).

One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty (Proverbs 11:24).

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously (2 Corinthians 9:6).
 
Give of your time and talents.
Whether or not you have a lot of money or material possessions, be a generous person with your time, looking for ways to help your church, other ministries or people in need. Follow Christ’s example by showing a passionate concern for others. 
 
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness (Philippians 2:5-7). 

Be especially generous if you are well off.
Although everyone is called to be generous, you should be especially so if you are wealthy. Do not be embarrassed by your wealth, but remember it is not your money. Use it to bless others.
 
Command those who are rich ... to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life (1 Timothy 6:17-19).

Ask Yourself This - Is Giving The Purpose Of Living?
Our lesson says that some people have learned that GIVING is the purpose of LIVING!


Why Be Generous?



I. SPIRIT OF GENEROSITY PAST ( GRACE ) – Luke 19:1-10

Jesus Visits Zacchaeus

1 He entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 There was a man named Zacchaeus who was a chief tax collector, and he was rich. 3 He was trying to see who Jesus was, but he was not able because of the crowd, since he was a short man. 4 So running ahead, he climbed up a sycamore tree to see Jesus, since He was about to pass that way. 5 When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, because today I must stay at your house." 6 So he quickly came down and welcomed Him joyfully. 7 All who saw it began to complain, "He's gone to lodge with a sinful man!" 8 But Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, "Look, I'll give half of my possessions to the poor, Lord! And if I have extorted anything from anyone, I'll pay back four times as much!" 9 "Today salvation has come to this house," Jesus told him, "because he too is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save the lost."

Do you have a generous heart? Are you a generous person? Is there selfishness in your past?






II. SPIRIT OF GENEROSITY PRESENT ( LOVE ) – 1 JOHN 3:16-18


Love in Action


16 This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has this world's goods and sees his brother in need but shuts off his compassion from him—how can God's love reside in him? 18 Little children, we must not love in word or speech, but in deed and truth;

Do you really show generosity to poor and needy people today? How can we open our eyes to needs we see today?






III. SPIRIT OF GENEROSITY YET TO COME ( EXAMPLE ) – 2 CORINTHIANS 8:3-4
3 I testify that, on their own, according to their ability and beyond their ability, 4 they begged us insistently for the privilege of sharing in the ministry to the saints,


Do you make generous donations to your church? Do you think God is pleased with your level of giving? When have you begged to help? Will people say you were generous after you’re gone?



Do you need to make any changes in how you approach giving?



Is My Purpose Of Living To Give?



Prepare yourselves this week for our final lesson on putting our possessions in perspective.


Prayer of Commitment
Lord, help me be generous in my giving. Amen


See you on Sunday!


In His Love,


David & Susan 



No comments:

Post a Comment