Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Class Lesson June 19, 2011


Hey Gang,

What a series this has been - What do you really own? Where is your true treasure? and this week, How much is enough? 


I think this cartoon hits the nail on the head don’t you? Once a year we take some time to focus on the concept of thanksgiving. And yet, we have so much for which we should be thankful. Why is it that it’s so hard for us to think on the concept of thanksgiving more?


 
Why do we always feel like we need something more. More money, more gadgets, better furniture, a better house, a better car, more clothes, more shoes, more success. And what happens when we get more? We still aren’t satisfied, because there are new ads for new iPods, for new laptops, for new iPhones, for new cars, for new clothes and we have to have the newest and greatest. It’s impossible to satisfy that hunger for more, because our culture is not satisfied with what we have, but is geared to wanting more. It’s consumerism, and it’s the official religion of the industrialized world.

Our series has tried to get us to really think about this possession thing. We have been told throughout, that we should avoid greed and embrace the freedom that comes from using possessions the way God intended - how do we do that? Well, this week's lesson says that the answer is a hidden secret - it all centers around contentment. 

So, what does that mean?


Is it happiness?
Many people see “contentment” and “happiness” as one and the same. In many ways, they are, but it’s really a matter of focus. When you’re happy, it’s really a state of being, influenced by a number of factors, including contentment.

Contentment, on the other hand, is a matter of being satisfied with what you have. It focuses on what you have and don’t have instead of just being a state of being. It influences happiness. However, you can choose to be content, just as you can choose to be happy, and if you choose to be content, most of the time - you will be happy.

There are many ways to become happy — you can become happy by doing certain things (running, exercising, accomplishing a task), you can become happy because you are loved or in love, you can become happy because you just won a competition or a million dollars. Being content is another way to be happy, and it’s God's way.
Click Here



Is it simplicity?
Simplicity, of course, means many things to many people, but for me contentment is at the core of simplicity. It’s about being content with less, with a simpler life, rather than always wanting more, always acquiring more, and never being satisfied.

Simplicity means examining why you want more, and solving that issue at its core. At the core of wanting more is not being content with what you have. Once you’ve learned to be content, you don’t need more. You can stop acquiring, and start enjoying.

Now, I'm not saying that we will become immune to wants, but we can learned to catch ourselves and examine why we want something. And then try to tell  ourselves that we already have everything we could possibly want and need. And that contentment leads to simplicity.



Is it finances?
Really this is the same as simplicity, but I wanted to show it from a financial angle. The reason we get into financial trouble, oftentimes, is that we buy more than we can afford. And the root of that buying is buying things we want instead of only things we need, and the root of that is not being content with what we already have.

Finding contentment with the stuff you have and with a simpler life can lead to buying less, to buying things we need instead of want, and to only spending what we can afford.




Is it my job?
Should we be content with our jobs? Well, I won’t say that you should stick with a dead-end job and a boss that treats you like dirt. If you’re unhappy with your job, change it.  But change it with God's direction and guidance. Maybe you are in a job that pays you very well and  affords you plenty, but at the sacrifice of time with your family - is it worth it? 



Getting to Contentment
So if contentment is the answer, how do you get there? Well, our lesson this week says that first we must choose it, (1 Timothy 6:6-8) then we must push away the greed in our life, (1 Timothy 6:9-12) and finally, we must have faith in Christ for the answer (Philippians 4:10-20).



“God’s gifts put man’s best dreams to shame.” 
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning



Prayer
Lord, help me to find the contentment that comes when You are my sufficiency. Amen


This is a needed lesson for us all! Keep it in prayer this week as we prepare for more on God's perspective of our possessions.

In His Love,

David & Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment