Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Class Lesson February 20, 2011

Hey Gang,

We are coming down to the final two lesson from the book of Hosea. Remember, the book of Hosea was addressed to the Northern Kingdom of Israel, though the Southern Kingdom was mentioned at times too. In part of our lesson this week, Hosea draws upon the history of the united people before their division in 1 Kings 12:1-19. Israel's very name means "struggles with God" this is found in Genesis 32:24-28. In Genesis 46 we read where the nation of Israel was led by God's own hand into Egypt and was richly blessed there. About 400 years later, though, things changed and the nation of Israel faced cruel and unjust oppression from Egyptian masters. But God had not forgotten Israel and He miraculously called and brought Israel out of their oppression, led by His servant Moses. However, though He rescued them from slavery and led them to freedom, Israel continued to struggle with God. The nation complained, rebelled, and continued to choose spiritual slavery over the freedom that God offered in covenant relationship with Him.

This week we see God's love from the view of a father.



Hosea began his message by picturing God as a rejected husband who nonetheless lovingly forgave and loved back his wayward wife - Hosea 1-3. This week, though, Hosea has shifted his imagery of God from a Husband to a Father - not an abusive father, but as a tender father wanting his children close. So, Israel, you and I are shown this week in the role of children, rebelling and testing our independence before our Father in heaven.

It's along these lines of thought that we can think to ourselves at times, why on earth did I do that, I know better, how can I be so stupid? Have you ever felt like you were drifting farther and farther from God - to the point that you think God doesn't love or care for you anymore? Have you ever  caught yourself just taking for granted God's never-failing love. Why do we think like this or continue to do these stupid things that we know better than to do?

Well, thanks be to God, that we read this week that He pursues us; He nurtures us ; and He will not abandon us as we will see in Hosea 11:1-11.  

Give a little thought this week about a memory you have of a teacher at school, church, or home  that helped you master some skill or activity. Think about what kind of child you were growing up: strong willed or compliant? How did this teacher work with your bent nature? Maybe you need to revisit Caleb's awakening at the cross of Jesus? Click below if you want to see last week's video clip from the movie Fireproof.


Click Here


Stay with this lesson through the end next week as we close with how God loves to welcome us home! Have a blessed remainder of the week as we prepare for God's truths through His Holy Word.

In His Love,

David & Susan







No comments:

Post a Comment