Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Class Lesson September 26, 2010



Hey Gang,

This series on Apologetics is beginning to get very personal as we search for the answers to why we believe what we believe. Great discussion Sunday on why God allows suffering in this world. C.S. Lewis had each of us trying to get our arms around the possibility that God might actually want us to suffer. "It's because God loves us that He makes us the gift of suffering." Romans 8:28-30 is always comforting in times of suffering. Now if you can counter the following apologetic from Stephen Fry, then you are ready to move on to the next question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5hWbfZsYs

This week we take a close look at where God really is in your life. Where do you see Him? As an apologist, you will meet people who are Christians but struggle with their faith. You will also meet a great many people who acknowledge God's existence but have never taken a step of faith to commit to Christ because they are not sure that God really cares. What I mean by this is the question we sometimes feel: Does God really care about the details of my life? I have real fears that I will make the wrong decisions sometimes. I know that God has led me in the past, but this situation I'm going through right now is the toughest thing I've ever experienced, I need help. Another question or statement we hear a lot of people say is that Jesus was just a man, what can I say to this that connects them to the truth?

My daughter use to love the Bette Midler song: "From a Distance" here is a link, it's a beautiful song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_YAj9lCQc&feature=related 

The sad thing is that many people see God this very way, from a distance. They believe that He wound up His creation only to step back and watch, leaving humanity with no hope of reaching out to a personal God for help. As you think about apologetics and making a case for hope, understand that your life is prime evidence for God's involvement in our world. You need to really give some thought this week to what God has actively done in your life up to this point. The Bible teaches that God is not merely the Creator but also the Sustainer of all things. We will begin with one of the greatest psalms in the Bible: Psalm 139:7-10, where David, as always, paints a beautiful picture of a God that is not only involved in our lives, but interested and engaged too. Then we'll take a look through Deuteronomy 8:2-5 at how God guides and provides. And what better way to close than to see through Philippians 2:5-11 a God that was so involved with His people that He stepped into history and became one of us...why did He do that? Why is it important to you that Jesus was God? Why is it important to you that Jesus was also human? 


This is our final lesson of the initial series on The Case for Hope. Our next series of 5 lessons will be on The Case for Jesus.

I want to thank each one of you for seriously exploring this journey into Apologetics. I believe that it will not only teach each of us defensible truths about our faith, but that it will also teach each of us something about who and where we are in our faith. Some of us have really struggled, some of us have really suffered, but as C.S. Lewis told us this past Sunday, "The pain is part of the happiness, that's the deal."

Have a blessed week everyone and we'll see you on Sunday!

In His Love,

David and Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment