Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Class Lesson September 19, 2010

Why does a loving God allow so much suffering and evil in the world?


Hey Gang,

Last week's lesson was a great start to our 13 week series on Apologetics. Some of you asked about the video we watched, so I have given you a link here to watch it again if you like:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGvfdtI2c0

We began this series with 1 Peter 3:15-17 telling each of us that we should "be prepared" to explain and defend our faith to those that question why we believe as we do. We learned that the goal of an apologist is not to win an argument, but to lovingly explain why we believe. 

So here's the situation; you have a friend that admires your personal faith, but they tell you that they have some real doubts about whether or not God even exists. Last week's lesson helped us explain how God revealed Himself in creation, through the Bible and through Jesus, and  then we talked about that inner desire we all have to worship God even if we don't know Him.  So, you have some things to share as to why you believe God exists, right? Thomas Stephens brought up a great point, last week about people born in a Hindu country and not having any access to a Bible, how they could be expected to seek the same God. And then we read in Acts 17:26-27 "From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us." Wow, so this was His plan and purpose, too! It's starting to get a little deep now...but I think there's a bigger picture here.

OK, so your friend is ready to admit that God exists (hallelujah), but this opens up a whole series of other questions now, like if God exists and He's this loving and caring Father in heaven, then why is there all this suffering and evil in the world? To be a little more specific,  a year ago my father passed away, I lost my job and I'm still unemployed, my wife has just gotten a bad report from the doctor, my savings is all but gone...where is this loving and caring Father in heaven now? Why is all of this happening to me?

What would you say to your friend, now that you're a trained apologist? This was the big question that sent Charles Templeton down the road of unbelief. Remember the mother in Africa holding her dead child because of the drought...Who controls the Rain?

Your lesson this week is going to take you back to the story of Job. Pay close attention to what happens to Job and why it happened...Job questions his suffering as well. Remember that no character in the Bible about whom we know anything in detail lived a pain free life. Paul will put our suffering into perspective in Romans 8 and close with God's good purpose. This is a  thought provoking lesson this week...be prepared to give an answer...if you can.

Hope everyone has a blessed week and we look forward to continuing the journey into apologetics this Sunday.

In His Love,

David and Susan 

1 comment: