Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Class Lesson September 15, 2024

Jesus is Better - Hebrews 5


Opening Discussion: What comes to mind when you think of a priest? Is the Old Testament important to understand the context of the New Testament? How were people made right with God in the Old Testament? How has Jesus given us access to God now?



 

Hebrews 4:14-5:10

14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

5:1 For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. 3 Because of this he is obligated to offer sacrifice for his own sins just as he does for those of the people. 4 And no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God, just as Aaron was. 5 So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”; 6 as he says also in another place, “You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. 9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 10 being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Heb 4:14-5:10.

 

Study Notes

WEEK 5 NOTES: Hebrews 4:14-5:10

The High Priest in Israel had various roles, but his prominent responsibility was offering the sacrifice on the Day of Atonement. The role of the High Priest began with Aaron. In short, the High Priest performed specific rituals to prepare himself for the task. This process is described in Leviticus 16 and 23:27-28. After bathing and wearing special garments, the High Priest would then sacrifice a bull for a sin offering for himself and his family. He would bring two goats, one to sacrifice and the other to serve as the scapegoat. He would place his hands on the scapegoat to represent the sins of Israel being released, thus allowing Israel forgiveness for another year. After sacrificing the other goat, he would enter the Holy of Holies and sprinkle the blood onto the ark of the covenant to pay for the sins of Israel.

The High Priest was the only person allowed behind the veil into the very presence of God. Many men had this role, however, there is only One Man that earned the title Great High Priest. Jesus both offered the sacrifice and became the sacrifice. He did not need a goat, because He is the Lamb. Jesus’ sacrifice also needs no repetition — it is once and for all. But what else makes Jesus the Great High Priest?


He is a Sympathetic Priest.

He can sympathize with our weaknesses. He knows how we have stumbled into sin. He understands how we have been tempted. He knows the pain of loss, He has undergone humiliation and faced so many difficulties. He has, in a sense, been in our shoes. He is a priest who understands what we face.

 

He is a Sinless Priest.

Tradition tells us there were a combined 78 High Priests who served in either Solomon’s Temple or the Second Temple. Of all the High Priests, each could likely sympathize with us in one way or the other, but not one of them lived a life of perfection. Jesus is the Great High Priest because He was the sinless Servant. No Old Testament priest could claim perfection. This is demonstrated in the fact that after presenting the sacrifice in the holy of holies, the priest would immediately leave the presence of God. Jesus, however, was able to pass through the heavens and is now seated at the right hand of God making intercession for us.

 

He is a Sufficient Priest.

Hebrews 5 tells us that Jesus is “a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.” What does this mean? It teaches us that Jesus has no beginning and no end, and He is a priest outside of the order of Levi. This means He is both priest and King. Not only is His job as the High Priest sufficient for the atonement of sins, but it also grants sufficient access for saints to approach His throne.

 

He is a Suffering Priest.

Let’s not forget that for Jesus to become the Great High Priest, He had to suffer. Jesus suffered on the cross. He didn’t offer the blood of goats or bulls. He offered His own blood on the cross… the blood of the Lamb. Jesus paid it all. His payment completely cleanses anyone who places their faith in Him. Don’t miss the power of this. Right now, Jesus gives you access to the presence of God through prayer any time you want.

 

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION

Have you considered how important it is that Jesus sympathizes with you? Why is it important that Jesus sympathizes with us without ever sinning?

Are there times in your life where you think (or believe the lie) you couldn’t possibly be forgiven?

Discuss all Jesus suffered and endured on the cross as a group.

Do you take the invitation in Hebrews 4:16 seriously? How often do you approach the throne of grace for help in time of need?

 

END

Teacher Notes:




''Well, then you won’t have to spend an hour here on things like transfer. You can even do your shopping online. Believe me, everything will be so easy!'

 

I was really excited about introducing him into the world of Net banking.

 

He asked ‘So, if I do that, I won’t have to step out of the house?

''Yes, yes'' that’s right, I said. I told him how even groceries can be delivered to your door now and how Amazon delivers everything!

 

His answer left me tongue-tied.

He said, 'Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends, chatted a while with the staff who know me very well by now and I know them.

I am alone now, and this is the company that I need. I enjoy getting ready and coming to the bank.

Two years ago, when I got sick, the store owner where I buy groceries came to see me and sat by my bedside and we just talked and talked.

 

Does Amazon deliver this as well?

Look at what I would miss if everything I did became online.

 

What I learned today was how the old puts the new in context. 










I gave always wondered if this ever really happened...






John Latina – USC Offensive Line coach (2004 – 2008)

Latina has served on staffs at Pittsburgh (1982), Temple (1983-88), Kansas State (1989-93), Clemson (1994-98) with Tommy West, Ole Miss (1999-04), USC (2004-2005) with Steve Spurrier, Notre Dame (2005-08) and Akron (2010-11).



My younger brother was working at Clemson with the team when Latina coached. John Latina was an Italian/Catholic and he and my brother were always having theological discussions – regarding Catholics vs Protestants. My brother was in Latina’s office one day and…

Latina said, “John, do you realize that I can call my priest right here from my desk without going in and give my confession.”

John said, “do you realize I can sit right here in your office and pray to Jesus and have my sins forgiven.”

“Darn, that’s pretty good!”






Understanding Hebrews will change your perspective in so many ways. It will solve some of the big questions about God that Christians ask. It will reconcile the differences in the covenants and give you a clear and true picture of God.
































 

No comments:

Post a Comment