Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Class Lesson January 28, 2024

 


REVELATIONS

God has a word to the church – are you listening?

 

 

The church at Laodicea is one of two churches where Jesus identifies no positive qualities. He gives another beautiful description of Himself, then jumps right into Laodicea’s lackluster attitude toward spiritual things. No one took a stand for Jesus. Everyone came to church and left without a genuine and passionate desire to pursue God.

The Laodiceans are so apathetic that the theologians are split on whether the congregation is lost or saved. This condition shows that religious activity and claiming the title “church” does not prove a person is a follower of Christ. The evidence of following Christ is the outpouring of the Spirit. The outpouring of the Spirit is evidenced by a passion for Christ and His glory.

According to Jesus and His letter, apathy within the church renders it useless to the Kingdom of God. The greater problem is that the Laodiceans have no idea their condition is wretched and see no need for repentance. However, Jesus instructs the church to repent and open the door when He knocks. Jesus does not leave the church in a lukewarm state. He will make all things new, but until that day, Jesus desires His church to resist worldly comfort and passionately serve Him.

This is the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

 


 

Opening Questions:

In the past week, what did you do that most excited you?

 

How would you describe someone with an apathetic heart?

 

The Point: 

Evaluate your passion for Christ.

 

Revelation 3:14-22

14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Revelation 3:14-22.

 

STUDY NOTES

No one is excited about everything, but apathy in our relationship with Jesus has no place in the life of His disciples or the church. In fact, Jesus used extreme imagery when He spoke about those who failed to give Him their full affection. Jesus expects and deserves whole-hearted devotion from His people. We all have moments where the fire does not burn as brightly as others. However, a believer who lives a lifestyle of apathy toward following Christ is not right with God.

As you go through the text, notice how Jesus evaluates these churches. He genuinely cares about how the church operates. Some aspects of the church should remain, and some the church should change. Jesus looks at the activity, then digs deep into the heart of that activity. For instance, at Ephesus, the church is active, but at the heart, they lose their first love. They serve God for the wrong reasons.

Though Jesus’ message to the church at Laodicea contained no praise, it did contain grace. Their problem had a solution in Christ. He urged the believers to repent and open their lives to Him as Lord, promising that if they did so, they would enjoy spiritual victory and intimate fellowship with Him.

The letter to the church concludes with a positive and even urgent invitation to the Laodiceans to return to a close relationship with Him. The invitation is for believers to open the door of their hearts to their Lord for intimate fellowship. The image of a meal is important. Eating together is a sign of fellowship and complete acceptance. That is what Jesus earnestly offers and desires. Although Jesus’ invitation is to the church, if anyone repents, He will come to that person with the most majestic reward possible — to sit at the divine banquet with Jesus on His throne.


In short, Jesus gives these three instructions:

1. The church needs to confess.

2. The church needs conviction to serve Christ.

3. The church needs communion with Christ.


Quotes:

“When Jesus says something, you don’t need a second opinion.” – Stephen Williams

“The self-sufficient man is no man at all for Christ.” – Corey Watson

“Apathy is most recognizable in the actions of the unrepentant.” – Ashley Moore

“Our usefulness to the kingdom is less about our capabilities, and more about our commitment to the King.” – Wayne Bray

 

Bottom Line

Apathy towards Christ will send you to Hell.

 

Jesus describes the Laodicean Church:

They are useless.

They are self-dependent.

They are unrepentant.




 

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION

 

How would you describe a church that is lukewarm?

 

What are the dangers of this type of spiritual apathy for a church and individual Christians?

 

What causes a church to lose its fervor for ministry and outreach?

 

What would happen to spiritual apathy if people continually remained aware of God’s greatness?

 

Describe repentance in your own words. Why is this something God values so highly?

 

Are you lukewarm in your devotion to God? If so, how do you sense Him drawing you back to Himself?

 

What does it look like to “eat with” Jesus (v. 20)? Why is this an appropriate picture of spiritual intimacy with Him?

 

END

Teacher Notes:




What did Jesus say the Church of Ephesus had lost last week?


What did Jesus tell the Church of Ephesus to do?

1.   To consider how far you have fallen.

2.   Repent

3.   To do the things you did at first.

To the Church of Laodicea 

“I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. … So, because you are lukewarm, … I will spit you out of my mouth.”


“Apathy towards Christ will send you to Hell.”

Bottom Line

Revelation 3:14-22

14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Revelation 3:14-22.



The Church of Laodicea – What do you know?

Laodicea was the wealthiest of the seven cities, known for its banking industry, manufacture of wool, and a medical school that produced eye salve. But the city had always had a problem with its water supply. At one time an aqueduct was built to bring water to the city from hot springs. But by the time the water reached the city, it was neither hot nor refreshingly cool – only lukewarm. The church had become as bland as the tepid water that came into the city.

 

Laodicea was a wealthy city, and the church was also wealthy. But what the Laodiceans could see, and buy had become more valuable to them than what is unseen and eternal.

Wealth, luxury, and ease can make people feel confident, satisfied, and complacent. But no matter how much you possess or how much money you make, you have nothing if you don’t have a vital relationship with Christ.


What are the dangers of this type of spiritual apathy for a church and individual Christians?

 

 

The Laodiceans are so apathetic that theologians are split on whether the congregation is lost or saved.

What do you think?

 

What causes a church to lose its fervor for ministry and outreach?

 

What did Jesus say to the Church?

You are useless.

You are self-dependent.

You are unrepentant.

 

“Apathy is most recognizable in the actions of the unrepentant.” – Ashley Moore

 

Are you lukewarm in your devotion to God today?

 

What could cause a Christian to lose their devotion to God?

 

“The self-sufficient man is no man at all for Christ.”

– Corey Watson

 

NOTHING

ABOUT ME IS

SELF-MADE.

I OWE GOD

EVERYTHING.

Do you agree with this? Is this how you feel? Are you living this way today?

 


The Laodicean church was complacent and rich. They felt self-satisfied, but they didn’t have Christ’s presence among them. Christ knocked at the door of their hearts, but they were so busy enjoying worldly pleasures that they didn’t notice that He was trying to enter. The pleasures of this world – money, security, material possessions – can be dangerous, because their temporary satisfaction make us indifferent to God’s offer of lasting satisfaction. 

 

Jesus said in short:

1. The church needs to confess and repent.

2. The church needs conviction to serve Christ.

3. The church needs communion with Christ.

 

 

What does it look like to “eat with” Jesus (v. 20)?

Why is this an appropriate picture of spiritual intimacy with Him?

 

Conclusion

You must evaluate your passion for Christ.































No comments:

Post a Comment