Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Class Lesson September 27, 2020

 Hey Gang,


We continue in our series called Oneness Embraced




Wayne & Alex


Click Play to Watch


Oneness Embraced Book by Tony Evans

Click Here to Read the Book

I have purchased the eBook for you to read above, if you’d like to read along with the study - just click on the link above for the book.


Week 5: Oneness Embraced – Discussion Guide


DEBUNKING RACIAL MYTHS 


FOCUS:  To recognize that:

a) God created all men – regardless of race – equal and valuable in His sight, and thus we should see each other the same way and

b) the importance of studying and meditating on the whole Word of God – the Bible – to ensure we live in truth and not myths/lies.

 

Tony Evans’ Video highlights:

  • Myths are traditions passed down over time that are accepted as true, even though there’s no scientific or historic evidence.
  • A tragic myth in the history of race is the myth of inferiority - that some people were created to be dominant and others created to be subservient.
  • The “curse of Ham” teaching which has been very damaging to the Church
  • Christian Blacks can take great pride in black leaders in the Bible including:
  • Jethro the priest of Midian, and father-in-law of Moses
  • Zephaniah, son of Cushi, wrote a book of the Bible
  • Bathsheba was the mother of Solomon
  • Rahab from Jericho was the mother of Boaz
  • Ruth from Moab was the great grandmother of David
  • Nimrod was a nation builder but not a godly leader
  • In the New Testament, there was the Ethiopian eunuch
  • Black leaders in the church in Antioch
  • The wife of Moses who God defended
  • Early church fathers who were blacks included Augustine and Athenasius

 

Setting the story straight:

  • Ham was not cursed, Canaan was.
  • Not all Canaanites were cursed.
  • Not more than 3 generations were cursed in the Bible.
  • Jesus’ death on the cross ended every curse.

 

For Group Time

Icebreakers: Can you think of a myth that was later proven to be false? Why or how was it proven false?

 

Discussion Questions Session 4:

  1. Share a belief that has been passed on to you or you have heard over the years with regards to another race that you since have found has no historical or factual merit.
  2. Have you ever heard of the “Curse of Ham” teaching?
  3. Imagine if the church had stood up and exposed the myth of Ham teaching 300 years ago. How do you think that could have changed history?
  4. Dr. Evans mentioned a number of Bible heroes who were black. How does that impact your view of Black’s contribution to our Christian heritage?
  5. What part of church history are we missing due to racial bias?
  6. What impact does racial bias have on individuals? On the church today?

 

Self-Reflection: 

  • Would I rather have my son/daughter marry a Christian of another race or a non-Christian of my same race?  (Assuming everything else is equal.) Why?
  • Where do I need to repent to God of my wrong view of another race?

 

Challenge: This week consider googling Black church leaders in history and see what you find.







No comments:

Post a Comment