Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Class Lesson July 16, 2017





Many things vie for our attention. Some are important and require immediate attention such as family responsibilities, work demands, service commitments, and so forth. Other things appeal to us at the level of our wants, desires, or personal pleasure. They take on elevated importance primarily because we want them to. Of course, we also face the "tyranny of the urgent," those things that demand our attention - now! We didn't plan on them, but they cannot be ignored. Nevertheless, one thing in life is to take priority over all things: loving obedience to God. 

The Book of Haggai is a prophetic message given to a group of exiles who had been allowed to return to Jerusalem. Through Haggai, God challenged them to reorder their priorities and rebuild the temple that continued to lay in ruin.

We too can easily become enamored with our own pursuits at the cost of failing to be true to God's agenda. However, when we are faithful to His purpose we find fulfillment and enjoy the blessing that accompanies it. In this lesson, we will be encouraged to reorder our priorities, trust in God, and claim His promises, knowing that He will abundantly bless us. The greatest blessing is the assurance of His presence.



Haggai 1:2-8 New International Version (NIV)

2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: “These people say, ‘The time has not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house.’”

3 Then the word of the Lord came through the prophet Haggai: 4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?”

5 Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways. 6 You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”

7 This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways. 8 Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build my house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored,” says the Lord.


Delayed obedience is still disobedience.


This is not my time ... this is God's time!

He's number One!

Always put God first.


We will always lean towards "later."


In what ways do you need to reorder your life priorities to conform to the agenda of the Lord?


  • We need to evaluate our lives in light of our relationship of obedience to God.
  • Selfish priorities and pursuits prove to be futile.


Haggai 1:9-11 New International Version (NIV)

9 “You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the Lord Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house. 10 Therefore, because of you the heavens have withheld their dew and the earth its crops. 11 I called for a drought on the fields and the mountains, on the grain, the new wine, the olive oil and everything else the ground produces, on people and livestock, and on all the labor of your hands.”


What do these verses teach us about God?



This is the way to lose.



Can you recall a time when you experienced the judgment or discipline of God because you didn't put Him first in your life?


  • Failure to put God first can bring His judgment or discipline upon us.




Haggai 1:12-13 New International Version (NIV)

12 Then Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the whole remnant of the people obeyed the voice of the Lord their God and the message of the prophet Haggai, because the Lord their God had sent him. And the people feared the Lord.

13 Then Haggai, the Lord’s messenger, gave this message of the Lord to the people: “I am with you,” declares the Lord.


What happens when we put God first?



Can you recall past/present life events that affirm for you God's presence in your life?

  • Markers - Joshua's 12 stones (remember this day)
The greatest benefit of putting God first is the assurance of His presence.



So much goes on in our lives that we have to work hard to keep things in the right order, to establish the right priorities. We are especially tempted to place emphasis on material things as on things that satisfy our wants rather than our needs. Such a lifestyle can be addictive and can trap us for a lifetime. How sad it is for a person near the end of life to realize he or she settled for empty and lesser goals. True and lasting values are spiritual in nature. they come when we put God first, trust Him and His Word, and live according to His everlasting promises. When we do, He blesses us with His unwavering presence that gives new meaning in our lives.


Have a blessed week!


In His Love,


David & Susan


















No comments:

Post a Comment