Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Class Lesson February 26, 2017




Think about it, maybe it was old clothes to the Goodwill, giving something to be sold at a benefit auction, giving money to buy something at the benefit auction, donation to a special missions project, a shoe-box full of stuff for Operation Christmas Child, your time spent at the Operation Christmas Child processing center, a special present given to family member for birthday or Christmas, you got rid of some old electronics at a collection center, or maybe you were able to give a significant amount of money to a special ministry.


Our lesson point in this final message from Paul is for us to:








THE BIBLE MEETS LIFE 
Money. Most of us like to have it. Even more of us like to spend it. But we don’t usually like to talk about it—especially at church. 

Would it surprise you to know that most pastors don’t like to talk about it either? Pastors don’t want to appear greedy, nor do they want to be associated with “prosperity preachers”—those who preach that if you give more and more of your resources, God will bless you with health, wealth and prosperity. 

In Philippians 4, however, we see that Paul was quite comfortable talking about money. He was comfortable living with money— and living without money. How could that be? Paul was content regardless of his financial situation because his contentment and ultimate joy was in Jesus Christ. 

Let’s move deeper into that joy as we explore some important passages from Philippians 4.




WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?



Philippians 4:10-14 

10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. 11 I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. 13 I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. 14 Still, you did well by sharing with me in my hardship. 

Paul began this passage with an explosion of joy: “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that once again you renewed your care for me.” Paul was thrilled by the Philippians’ generosity, compassion, and renewed support for him. 

In verses 11-13, Paul explained Christian contentment. The Stoic philosophers of Paul’s day interpreted contentment as “self-sufficiency.” Paul revolutionized the idea of contentment from “self-sufficiency” to “Christ-sufficiency.” 

Contentment is about believing Christ is enough. Therefore: 

  • Contentment doesn’t depend on our circumstances. Paul’s contentment didn’t increase or decrease based upon his material provision. He taught that the rare jewel of Christian contentment has nothing to do to our circumstances. It’s found in Christ. We need only Him. 

  • Contentment is learned. Twice, Paul said he learned contentment. Paul knew abundance. He knew what it was like to be hosted by the wealthy Lydia in Philippi (see Acts 16:14-15). But Paul also knew hardship—extreme hardship. Lest we think he was merely blowing smoke, just read 2 Corinthians 11:24-27! Paul knew what abundance was like, but he’d also went without food and knew what it was like to sleep in the cold. He learned how to be content in both environments.







Many athletes love to quote Philippians 4:13 for inspiration. But I can’t dunk a basketball no matter how often I quote this verse! The phrase “all things” must be governed by the context—which in this case is about contentment and material possessions. “I can do all [these] things through Christ who strengthens me.” 

Paul was able to be content in every situation through Christ. This, then, is the secret: Christ is enough. Paul wasn’t preoccupied with his situation; he was preoccupied with Jesus. When you focus on Jesus, you can be content.










Philippians 4:15-18 

15 And you Philippians know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving except you alone. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent gifts for my need several times. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that is increasing to your account. 18 But I have received everything in full, and I have an abundance. I am fully supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you provided—a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 

Once we’re content with our situations, we’ll have freedom to give more freely. Looking at these verses, we can see three ways Paul described the Philippians’ contribution to his ministry. 

First, their giving represented a partnership in the gospel (see vv. 15-16). Let me state this negatively: if we aren’t giving to God’s kingdom, we’re not partners in the gospel—we’re more like consumers. Paul didn’t view the Philippians as customers; he saw them as co-laborers. Most of the believers in Philippi were far from wealthy, yet they earned a reputation for giving sacrificially, generously, and cheerfully to support Paul’s mission (see Acts 16–17 and 2 Cor. 8–9).


Second, Paul highlighted the spiritual and eternal fruitfulness of living a generous life: “I seek the profit that is increasing to your account.” Paul wasn’t joyful just because the Philippians had given him a gift. He was pleased because he knew the heavenly profit— the spiritual fruit—that would result from their actions. The apostle rejoiced to see the Philippians acting like Christians. 

Paul had opened his letter by “praying with joy” because of the Philippians’ consistent partnership, asking that they would be “filled with the fruit of righteousness” (1:4,11). Their generous giving was one demonstration of their partnership that would produce fruit. 

Third, Paul described the Philippians’ sacrifice as an act of worship. Just as the Old Testament sacrifices made a pleasing aroma that would ascend skyward, Paul described the church’s sacrificial giving as “a fragrant offering” that was “pleasing to God.” This was high praise, indeed. Paul identified sacrificial giving as an act of the highest possible value—an act of worshiping God. 

What smells attract you? I like the aromas of a grill, a baseball field, coffee, and my bride. It may sound strange, but sacrificial obedience is a pleasing aroma to God. It brings Him pleasure. 

Talk about a motivation to give! Modern Christians need to understand that we don’t have to contribute financially to our local church or God’s kingdom as a whole. We get to give! We have the privilege of worshiping God even as we contribute to His work of salvation and restoration in our world.














Philippians 4:19-20 

19 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. 

Look at this magnificent promise: “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” God used the Philippians to supply Paul’s needs (see v. 18), and now Paul assured them that God would supply all their needs according to His infinite resources. Obviously, we shouldn’t treat God as an ATM machine—something that only exists to feed our greed. But we can go to God to supply our daily needs (see Matt. 6:11). 

Remember the secret to contentment? Christ is enough. Once we know that secret, we’ll be able to see the connection between financial support and genuine gospel partnership. We’ll understand that giving is a way we can bear fruit, store up treasures in heaven, and worship God. And we’ll know that when we live in such a generous and sacrificial way, we can trust God to take care of us. 

Continuing in verse 20, Paul rebounded with wholehearted praise to the Father: “Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.” This is the appropriate response to God, who has provided for our salvation and continues to sustain us spiritually and physically. 

God gave up His Son for our most desperate need. He provides for our daily needs, and He gives us joy that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. Therefore, God alone gets the glory. 

Paul burst into praise when thinking about the glory of the Father. I can’t help but admire Paul for this. He was in prison, yet his spirit soared with a heart full of praise! We don’t need bigger houses or bigger bank accounts to soar in worship. We simply need a bigger vision of God. 

We will soar, too, when we ponder anew what the Almighty can do—and what He has already has done! So let’s join in His work by giving what we have for the benefit of others.


















LIVE IT OUT

How will you give of your resources in order join God in His work? Consider the following suggestions: 

  • Look for greed. Greed isn’t an easily detectable sin. Pray to God as you look through your recent bank statements. Ask: “Am I trusting in money more than Jesus? Do money and possessions bring me more joy than Jesus?” 
  • Look for need. What need can you meet within your local church? Look for an opportunity to bless others and be an active partner in the gospel. 
  • Look together. We can accomplish more for God’s kingdom when we partner with others. As a group, find a way to regularly support and invest in a ministry that’s changing lives and sharing the gospel in your community. 

You may be uncomfortable talking about money. That’s okay. But don’t let your discomfort prevent you from experiencing the joy and contentment that comes with joining God in the good work of giving for the benefit of others.


Teacher Notes




When have you really experienced joy by giving to others?


Click Here to Watch



Paul thanks the Philippian church today for their giving to his ministry. 



And the he challenges us to learn 3 important fundamentals to Giving with Joy. 


1. Learn a secret of giving.

2. Learn what giving really is.

3. Learn to trust God’s promise.





I. Joy of Contentment                       Philippians 4:10-14 

10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. 11 I don’t say this out of need, for I and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. 13 I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. 14 Still, you did well by sharing with me in my hardship. 


Paul began this passage with an explosion of joy: “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly…” Why was Paul so joyful? 

· … that once again you renewed your care for me.” Paul was thrilled by the Philippians’ generosity, compassion, and renewed support for him. 



Then Paul talks about this secret of being content…



How would you describe what it means to be content?
  • Happy with what you have, joyful attitude no matter what the situation, not always craving for more “stuff”, willing to get along with whatever level of finances or supply or circumstances come your way. One dictionary defines contentment as “the state of being mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are.”
  • Contentment. What does it mean? In America, we’ve been taught to believe that contentment is linked to our accomplishments or constantly getting more. The bumper sticker that reads “He with the most toys wins!” epitomizes the world’s cravings for more and more. Our basic value is that "more is better." We think, "I’ll be happy when I get married." Or "I’ll be content when I have a second child." Or "…when my marriage is functioning on all four cylinders." Or "…when we remodel the bathroom." The problem with this line of thinking is that the horizon is always moving. Since there’s no end to our desire to acquire or do more, we’ll never experience contentment. The Stoics believed that contentment meant the opposite – the way to have peace and contentment is to have less and less. They would emotionally detach from the things and people they loved, convincing themselves that nothing mattered. But the truth is getting more and more can never bring contentment, and desiring less and less can’t either. Prosperity doesn’t have the power to give us contentment, nor poverty the power to take it away.
  • The true meaning of contentment is being satisfied with what you have and with who you are - right now. But is this truly attainable?





What are the enemies of contentment today?
  • Advertisement for so many material goods and “feel good” opportunities, abundance of “stuff”, attitude of striving for more, to be the best, the richest.



Make a list of what makes you feel content. 
  • Having a good job, having enough money, nice home, car, food and clothes, and retirement. Today it is rare that we find anyone who is truly content with his or her condition in life. The Bible has a great deal to say about contentment—being satisfied with what we have, who we are, and where we’re going. Jesus said, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?” (Matthew 6:25).
  • Where is Christ on the list? How would you explain to someone that the source of true contentment is having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ?


How did Paul describe contentment? 
  • Contentment doesn’t depend on our circumstances. Paul’s contentment didn’t increase or decrease based upon his material provision. It’s found in Christ. We need only Him. 
  • Contentment is learned. Twice, Paul said he learned contentment. Paul knew abundance. But Paul also knew hardship—extreme hardship. He learned how to be content in both environments. Paul was content regardless of his financial situation because his contentment and ultimate joy was in Jesus Christ.
  • Paul revolutionized the idea of contentment from “self-sufficiency” (the Stoics) to “Christ-sufficiency.” 
  • In his letter to the church in Philippi, the Apostle Paul shares the secret to being content: "I have learned to be content no matter what happens to me. I know what it’s like not to have what I need. I also know what it’s like to have more than I need. I have learned the secret of being content no matter what happens. I am content whether I am well fed or hungry. I am content whether I have more than enough or not enough. I can do everything by the power of Christ. He gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)


Paul realized that contentment is an attitude we learn and not a thing we achieve. 
  • Contentment doesn’t have anything to do with what is external – our circumstances. But it has everything to do with God doing something inside of us. 
  • The Bible has a great deal to say about contentment—being satisfied with what we have, who we are, and where we’re going. 
  • Jesus said, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?” (Matthew 6:25). In essence, Jesus is telling us to be content with what we have. Moreover, He has given us a direct command not to worry about the things of this world. Then He adds, “For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:32-33). From Jesus’ words, we can deduce that lack of contentment is sin and it puts us in the same category as those who do not know God.

I always liked Proverbs 30:8-9 (NLT) give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. 9 For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the LORD?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.



How should we interpret this verse? 13 I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.
  • Many athletes love to quote Philippians 4:13 for inspiration. (Tim Tebow) 
  • It’s not a blanket promise that through Christ a person can achieve anything they choose. It refers back to verses 11-12. Paul is saying that I can do all this (being content) through Him who gives me strength. 


Point: What is the secret to contentment? Christ is enough.

We have cause to rejoice in the Lord when others express compassion and extend care to us in our times of need. Because of our fellowship with others in Christ, we are to seek out opportunities to provide care for our brothers and sisters in their times of need. Contentment does not come easy to anyone, but godly contentment is not a product of what or how much we possess, it comes through a relationship with Christ. 



II. Joy of Giving                              Philippians 4:15-18 

15 And you Philippians know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving except you alone. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent gifts for my need several times. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that is increasing to your account. 18 But I have received everything in full, and I have an abundance. I am fully supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you provided—a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 


Once we learn the secret of contentment, we’ll have freedom to give more freely. 


What has been your personal journey toward being willing to give to others in their times of need? What struggles did you face? 
  • Understanding that we don’t have to give financially to the church or God’s kingdom. We get to give! This is being a partner in the gospel, not a consumer. We act like Christians and there is spiritual and eternal fruitfulness in living a generous life.



How has giving become a way of worshipping God for you?
  • Giving for the benefit of others is an investment in the things of God and thus becomes an expression of worship to Him. Seeing our giving as an act of worship and knowing that it pleases God.
  • Paul described the Philippians’ sacrifice as an act of worship. Just as the Old Testament sacrifices made a pleasing aroma that would ascend skyward, Paul described the church’s sacrificial giving as “a fragrant offering” that was “pleasing to God.” It may sound strange, but sacrificial obedience is a pleasing aroma to God. It brings Him pleasure. 


Point: What is the secret to giving that pleases God? The smell

Paul says that sacrificial obedience is a pleasing aroma to God. It brings Him pleasure. As believers, we are to look for opportunities to reach out to brothers and sisters in need. The concept of giving is rooted in the gospel, beginning with the truth that God gave His Son. Giving to others in a Christlike spirit is worship to God. We lay up treasures in heaven when we give freely to build God’s kingdom.



III. Joy of Receiving                        Philippians 4:19-20 

19 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. 



Look at this magnificent promise: “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” God used the Philippians to supply Paul’s needs, and now Paul assured them that God would supply all their needs according to His infinite resources. 



What sorts of needs can we expect God to supply? 
  • Paul said all your needs!
  • Remember the secret to contentment? Christ is enough. Once we know that secret, we’ll be able to see the connection between financial support and genuine gospel partnership. We’ll understand that giving is a way we can bear fruit, store up treasures in heaven, and worship God. And we’ll know that when we live in such a generous and sacrificial way, we can trust God to take care of us.
  • What did Paul say - he assured them God would supply their needs as well, reminded them that God’s resources are abundant, reminded them that Jesus’ work of redemption was the proof of God’s supplying our needs, starting with providing our salvation.


How do you differentiate between wants and needs?


Wants - Wish I had it, would be nice if …, really like that car/dress/phone/TV …, don’t care about cost … just want it.

Needs - Basic necessity for a person to survive, transportation, food, water, medicines, shelter, and basic clothing.



Paul concludes with wholehearted praise to the Father: “Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.” This is the appropriate response to God, who has provided for our salvation and continues to sustain us spiritually and physically. God gave up His Son for our most desperate need. He provides for our daily needs, and He gives us joy that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. Therefore, God alone gets the glory. 



Point: God gave up His Son for our most desperate need. He will provide for our daily needs.


God, our heavenly Father, will meet our needs. God’s supply of heavenly riches is inexhaustible. As God’s children, we have access to God and His blessing through Jesus Christ – and Him alone. God is worthy of all praise – now and forever. 



The results of giving. 
  • It blesses the recipient. Paul was pleased that they had remembered him. When Paul had first left Macedonia, the Philippian church was the only one that kept in touch with him. This was not the first time they had helped him. Even though he was not in deep need at the time, he would put their money to good use in spreading the gospel. 
  • It blesses the giver. Those who give have an investment in God’s work. You invest in your pastor and church staff. You invest in your church’s various ministries. You invest in missionaries that your church supports (if you are a Southern Baptist, that includes the Cooperative Program). God makes up the gift to you, and then some (Luke 6:38). “According to His riches in glory” – That is, God blesses giving in accordance with His glory and purposes. It’s a trite statement, but true nonetheless: you can’t out-give God! It brings glory to God. “A sweet smell” – This was a figure of speech used many times in the Old Testament, and it meant that a sacrifice was pleasing to God. The more we give to God’s work, the more He is glorified.



LIVE IT OUT: The latest global statistic shows that if one has a roof over his head and a meal on his table he is richer than 93 percent of the world’s population. If a person wears a pair of shoes he is richer than 75 percent of the people in the world. In the United States alone, credit card debt averages more than $16,000 per household, and we are still discontented. Solomon, the wisest and richest man who ever lived, said, “Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless” (Ecclesiastes 5:10).

“Be content with such things as you have” means as believers such should be our trust and confidence in God that we should be satisfied with our condition regardless of our circumstances. For we know assuredly that if we are faithful God will cause all things to work together for our good (Romans 8:28).


To worry means we do not trust God. The key to overcoming our discontentment and lack of faith is to find out who God really is and how He has been faithful to supply the needs of His people in the past. Such study will grow one’s confidence and trust for the future. The apostle Peter said it succinctly: “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:6-7).




Hope to see you this Sunday! 


In His Love, 

David & Susan 



























































No comments:

Post a Comment