Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Class Lesson April 3, 2016




Click Here to Watch





THE BIBLE MEETS LIFE
Atticus Finch, the small-town Alabama lawyer in Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, is one of the most beloved characters in American literature. Throughout the novel, Atticus maintains a calm poise in all situations—whether facing down a rabid dog or dealing with a racially-motivated mob. Several times in the narrative, Atticus tells his children, Jem and Scout, “It’s not time to worry.” Atticus is always very open with his children, so they trust that if there ever is a time to worry, he’ll tell them.


Trouble has a way of finding us, and it’s easy to let those troubles cause us to worry. It would be nice to a have our own version of Atticus Finch—someone to tell us, “It’s not time to worry.” 




The truth is that we don’t need a fictitious character like Atticus. We have Jesus, who offers us something far greater. He doesn’t just offer words in an attempt to comfort us; He offers Himself. Jesus does what no Atticus Finch could ever do: He gives us true peace even in the midst of trouble.


Boston wrote a song that speaks of our need for peace, it's called "Peace of Mind."



Click Here to Hear: Boston' Peace of Mind


Now if you're feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues you've been paying
Future's coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'
Can't decide on which way to go
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder
Hope it doesn't take too long
Can'tcha you see there'll come a day when it won't matter
Come a day when you'll be gone

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin'
Doesn't mean too much to me
Lot's of people out to make-believe they're livin'
Can't decide who they should be.

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead. Look ahead.





Everybody's looking for this Peace of Mind.



If you read the point of this week's lesson, you'll find that Jesus gives us the answer to our indecision and offers us a way to go to find this "Peace of Mind." 







WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

John 14:1-7 (NIV)


1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.


2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?


3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.


4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”


5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”


6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.


7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.



Troubled (v. 1)—Can refer to outward shaking or stirring up; or inward turmoil, unsettling circumstances, or being thrown into confusion.



Rooms (v. 2)—Place of remaining, tarrying, staying, or dwelling, as in a room or abode, or even of a settled residence.



Know (v. 7)—All three uses in this verse come from the Greek word meaning “to know by personal experience.” A different Greek word appears in verses 4-5.




How do you determine if someone is trustworthy?


John 14:1

“Do not let your hearts be troubled.” It was just hours before His arrest, trial, and crucifixion, yet Jesus was not focused on Himself. Rather, He sought to comfort and encourage His disciples. These men had already experienced difficulty because of their commitment to Him. Jesus knew it was going to get worse—much worse. Persecution was coming. Martyrdom would soon be a reality.



Becoming a Christian has never been an escape hatch from trouble. Our faith often invites conflict. And believers experience many of the same difficulties in life as unbelievers: sickness, accidents, natural disasters, crimes, wars, and much more. We are not exempt from the results of sin’s curse on our world.



Believers must also go through the trial of physical death—often after enduring declining health, loss of mental faculties, and loneliness leading to depression.



For all these reasons, Jesus knew finding and maintaining peace would be difficult. His encouragement, “Do not let your hearts be troubled,” advocates a practical reality, not a theoretical possibility.



Maybe you’re wondering: How exactly am I supposed to avoid being overcome by trouble?



Jesus revealed the Source of peace in the midst of trouble: “Believe in God; believe also in me.” The word “believe” in this context also could be translated “trust.” The key is trusting God and Jesus to sustain you through whatever challenges come your way.



Notice that Jesus didn’t say simply to trust the power of God or the presence of Jesus. Instead, this is a trust based on a relationship with God that is personal and intimate. We trust in Persons, not merely in concepts or doctrines. That is a distinctive element of the Christian faith.



Several years ago, after being diagnosed with cancer, I had two surgeries in five days. The night after the second surgery was very difficult. During the night, I became desperate for help. My prayer was, “God, just get me through to the morning.” All my education and experiences were useless. I had no strength of my own. That night, it was just me trusting God—and He was enough.



When you face real trouble, trust God and discover the sustaining grace He provides.









What do you find most comforting in these verses? Why?


John 14:2-4

Jesus promised His followers permanent residence in His “Father’s house.” He also said His Father’s house contains “many rooms” (v. 2). But don’t fixate on receiving your mansion, as if some glorified version of a brick-and-mortar castle is what will make heaven special. God is preparing a place for us to dwell with Him—to be in His presence for all eternity. The grandeur of heaven is the presence of God!



Jesus underscored this priority when He said, “I will come back and take you to be with me” (v. 3). Jesus promised to retrieve His followers, accompany them beyond death, and bring them into His presence as their eternal reward. No stately home—no matter how nice—could possibly be better than dwelling in the presence of Christ.



Notice that Jesus foreshadowed His impending departure. He warned His disciples, “I am going there to prepare a place for you,” but in the next breath He assured them, “I will come back and take you to be with me” (vv. 2-3). These short sentences summarize His upcoming death, resurrection, ascension, and return—events that are essential in making heaven a reality for us.



Also, don’t miss the importance of the words, “I will come back.” Jesus was likely referring to His second coming, but it’s not unreasonable to think Jesus may have been speaking of coming for every believer at the moment of death. Again, timing is not the main issue. The focus of the promise is on the Person who accompanies a believer through death, not the place where they are going or the time when they arrive there. Jesus Himself will come for His followers.



“You know the way to the place where I am going” (v. 4). Clearly, by now Jesus felt His followers should know the way to heaven. As we shall see, however, they still didn’t understand. 


John 14:5-7

Confused about Jesus’ earlier statement, Thomas responded honestly: “We don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”(v. 5). Jesus’ answer included no hint of rebuke; instead, He offered one of His most powerful and concise statements: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (v. 6).



Jesus didn’t say He was a source or teacher of the way; He said, “I am the way.” Our faith is personal—it’s generated by a Person and accessed through a relationship with a Person. Similarly, while Jesus taught truth and gave life, He claimed to be more than a source for these things. Jesus is truth and life.



Jesus’ claim to being the way, truth, and life may be the clearest example in Scripture about the exclusivity of the gospel. We find absolutely no biblical foundation for universalism—the misguided belief that all faiths are equal and all roads lead to heaven. Jesus is the only way, the only truth, and the only life.



Today, an ever-growing number of people are uncomfortable with the implications of this claim. It might seem the solution is to appease critics by softening Jesus’ words—not only about salvation, but also about sexuality, morality, ethics, and integrity. Rather than trying to soften those words, let’s take them seriously. Let them motivate our witness, deepen our spiritual resolve, and increase our efforts to get the gospel to more people. That’s the best response to Jesus’ definitive words, and the only way to true peace.




What does this “I am” statement teach us about Jesus’ nature and character?



Why is lasting peace found only in Jesus?







LIVE IT OUT 
Jesus is our only Source of true peace during difficulty. Consider the following options for helping others experience this hope: 


  • Praise God. Spend an hour thanking Jesus for the place He has prepared for you in heaven. Praise God for blessing you with peace and an eternal home with Christ.
  • Memorize the Word. Work each day to commit John 14:6 to memory. Encourage friends and family members to join you in memorizing this important verse. 
  • Be bold. Invite a person of a different faith to coffee or lunch. Ask them to explain what their religion teaches about concepts like the way to heaven, truth, and eternal life. In turn, tell them what Jesus taught and what you believe about these issues.

There are times when all of us worry in this world. Even Atticus Finch felt the pressure of those moments. But you have the amazing gift of choosing to focus on Christ in even the worst of moments—and in doing so, you’ll find the gift of peace.

 ______________________________
______________________________
______________________________





Our Lesson this Week:





OUR NEED FOR PEACE



When have you felt most at peace?

Americans live in comfortable homes, but domestic violence is at an all-time high. Our cities are the most modern in the world, yet the streets are unsafe. Our communication technology is unsurpassed, but there are constant misunderstandings. In fact, people come to church so filled with anxiety that it is almost impossible for a sermon to put them to sleep – how about that?


Daily news and world events can really overwhelm us. Nations are at odds, groups within our nation are fighting amongst themselves, world economies (yes, even ours) are on the brink of collapse, and nothing feels safe or secure. Any one of these issues would be just cause for anxiety. But Jesus, this week, offers us something beyond the turbulent, insecure world we live in. Jesus says He is the way to the Father; therefore, we can live in peace.


Does that give you a sense of peace?


John 14:1-7 (NIV)

1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.


When and to whom is Jesus having this conversation?

  • The Disciples after the Lord’s Supper.



What does Jesus say is the remedy for a troubled heart?

  • Believers do not have to live in fear if they live by faith.
  • Troubled hearts can be overcome by trust.
  • True belief in God includes believing in Jesus.



Where is this place Jesus is going and why should this give us peace?

  • Jesus has prepared a place in heaven (an eternal place of peace) for all who believe in Him.
  • Believers can live in anticipation that Jesus will come again.
  • Heaven is the abode of God, where we will live eternally with Jesus.
  • We will not know what heaven is like if we do not know the way to get there.


How does Jesus’ “I AM” statement in these verses give you peace? What is it about these verses that give you peace?


  • Jesus knew finding and maintaining peace would be difficult. Jesus’ words show that the way to eternal life, though unseen, is secure – as secure as your trust in Jesus. He has already prepared the way to eternal life. The only issue that may still be unsettled is your willingness to believe.
  • Jesus revealed the Source of peace in the midst of trouble: “Believe in God; believe also in me.” The word “believe” in this context also could be translated “trust.” The key is trusting God and Jesus to sustain you through whatever challenges come your way. Notice that Jesus didn’t say simply to trust the power of God or the presence of Jesus. Instead, this is a trust based on a relationship with God that is personal and intimate.
  • Jesus says He is the only way to God the Father. Some people will argue that this way is too narrow. In reality, it is wide enough for the whole world, if the world chooses to accept it.
  • The way – Jesus is our path to the Father.
  • The truth – Jesus is our reality of all God’s promises.
  • The life – Jesus joins His divine life to ours, both now and eternally.



What is important to Jesus’ claim that He is the only way to the Father?


  • Jesus’ claim to being the way, truth, and life may be the clearest example in Scripture about the exclusivity of the gospel. We find absolutely no biblical foundation for universalism—the misguided belief that all faiths are equal and all roads lead to heaven. Jesus is the only way, the only truth, and the only life. Today, an ever-growing number of people are uncomfortable with the implications of this claim. It might seem the solution is to appease critics by softening Jesus’ words—not only about salvation, but also about sexuality, morality, ethics, and integrity. Rather than trying to soften those words, let’s take them seriously. Let them motivate our witness, deepen our spiritual resolve, and increase our efforts to get the gospel to more people. That’s the best response to Jesus’ definitive words, and the only way to true peace.



John 14:27

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

How would you compare the world’s peace with God’s peace?





The major distinction between the two is that the peace Jesus gives comes from Himself (v. 27).

  • This is not the peace of escape, or of escapism.
  • It is not religion as a pacifier, religion as a safe harbor from the storms of existence.
  • This makes more sense as we envision the church as a ship. It serves no purpose if it remains in the safety of the harbor, but must sail amidst the trials and tribulations of an unpredictable and often perilous sea.



Can a person find peace without God?


  • The Bible makes it clear that the only way one can have peace with God is through faith in Jesus Christ. If we have trusted in Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and if we have accepted what Christ did for us on the cross, we can have peace. It is promised to us, “Being justified by faith, we have peace.” It is a present possession. The enmity is wiped out. The judgment is gone. We are at peace with God because we are accepted in the perfection of the person and work of His dear Son.
  • Can we have peace in our time? We may not have peace with nations, but we can have peace with God. Peace with God is the position of every Christian. It is not so much an experience as it is a fact. One is either at peace with God or he is not at peace with Him. If one is saved, he has peace with God.


What would be the difference between having peace with God and having the peace of God?


  • After one has peace with God, there is the possibility of an experience of peace. Some Christians have peace with God who know very little about the peace of God, which is the experience of peace.
  • In verse 27: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” Do you have the peace of God? It is God’s gift. You cannot earn it, and no amount of resolve on your part can secure it. It is something God has to do for you. In Galatians 5:22, we are told that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace. The thing that astounds us is not that Christ simply gives us peace, but He said, “My peace I give unto you” (John 14:27). “My peace”! What is the peace of Christ? What is He talking about on this night before His crucifixion? Twenty-four hours later His body lay in a tomb, rived with the nails in His hands and feet, the spear wound in His side, and yet He speaks of “my peace.” What kind of peace is this?
  • None of us, of course, understand the peace of Christ. We cannot enter into the consciousness of the incarnate Son of God. But what did Christ mean when He said “My peace I give unto you”? How could Christ, knowing what was ahead for Him, have peace at this time? He knew that He would die on the cross the next day.
  • The only way, then, one can have the peace of God is to attain perfect confidence in the God who gives peace. When one realizes that he is trusting One who is infinitely wise and powerful, who knows all about everything, who has perfect provision for every human need, then he can have peace. When one realizes that his life is in the hands of a God who loves him enough to send His Son to die for him, and that the Christ who died is risen and is interceding for him at the right hand of the Father, then he can have peace. When one believes that God has promised never to let him go until God has perfected His work and he is a trophy of grace throughout all eternity, he certainly can have peace. According to Ephesians 2:5, believers in Christ will be a living illustration throughout all eternity of what the grace of God can do.




Sitting in a jail cell in a prison in Rome with a death sentence hanging over him, the apostle Paul had all the outward signs that would lead to stress and a lack of peace. At the time Paul wrote his letter to the Philippians, he had been in prison for four years. As uncertain as his future was, Paul should have been stressed, but he wasn’t. He provides us with some simple yet profound steps to peace.





Philippians 4:4-9
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.




1. Rejoice no matter what. (v. 4)

It seems strange that a man in prison would be telling a church to rejoice. But Paul’s attitude teaches us an important lesson: our inner attitudes do not have to reflect our outward circumstances.


Paul was full of joy because he knew that no matter what happened to him, Jesus Christ was with him. It’s easy to get discouraged about unpleasant circumstances or to take unimportant events too seriously. If you haven’t been joyful lately, you may not be looking at life from the right perspective. Rejoicing is clearly a scriptural command. To ignore it is disobedience. Paul commanded us to release our sense of humor, find the bright side, look for the sunny side, find the joy, and delight in laughter. Paraphrasing, Paul instructed, “Don’t be uptight. Loosen up. Poke some fun. Laugh freely. Live lightheartedly.”


Ultimate joy comes from Christ dwelling within us. He who lives within us will fulfill His final purposes for us.



2. Don’t be anxious. (v. 6)


Imagine never being anxious about anything! It seems impossible – we all have worries on the job, in our homes, at school.


Worry and anxiety are a great source of stress. Worry is assuming responsibility that God never intended for us to have. It’s playing God, trying to control the uncontrollable.


Worry is worthless. It cannot change the past or control the future. It only messes you up right now. It is an incredible waste of energy. Worry divides the mind. We get our English word worry from the German word wurgen, which means “to strangle, to choke.”




3. Pray about everything. (v. 6)

When the stresses of life come we have two options: Panic or pray. Try to deal with them ourselves or turn them over to God.


Paul’s advice is to turn our worries into prayers. Do you want to worry less? They pray more! Whenever you start to worry, stop and pray. If we spent our time praying instead of worrying, we’d have a whole lot less to worry about.


The word everything means everything. We are to pray about everything, not just the religious stuff. God is interested in every detail. And, speaking of details, the word petition means a specific, detailed request. Get specific with God. Tell him exactly what you desire and what you need. Most people pray vague and general prayers that are lifeless and powerless. Prayer is like rain. God showers us with His blessings, raining down His care upon us.



4. Think positively. (v. 8)

Paul doesn’t tell us to behave differently; he instructs us to think differently. What we put into our minds determines what comes out in words and actions. Paul tells us to program our minds with thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy. If you have a problem with impure thoughts, then examine what you are putting into your mind through television, books, conversations, movies, and magazines. Consider replacing harmful input with wholesome material. Above all, read God’s Word and pray. Ask God to help you focus your mind on what is good and pure. It takes practice, but it can be done.



5. Reap the benefits of peace. (vv. 7, 9)

The peace of God will guard our hearts and minds. The word guard is a military word meaning to guard or post a sentinel. The Philippians knew the word guard well for they knew the Roman legion kept the peace in Philippi. In like manner, God will guard our minds and hearts when we have a relationship with Him and trust Him moment by moment.


God’s peace is different from the world’s peace. True peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control. Our citizenship in Christ’s kingdom is sure, our destiny is set, and we can have victory over sin.


It is rather a strange thing that we are willing to trust God for eternity, for heaven, for all the issues that stretch on as far as our mind can go. But when it comes to thinking of ordinary, every-day problems, we have to handle this. Let us be reasonable. If God can save our souls and provide for us for all eternity, I think He can give us peace.




LIVE IT OUT
Suppose you are in a strange town looking for a particular location. You stop for directions. The person clearly knows the place you are seeking, but his directions are complicated by the fact you do not know the layout of the streets and are not familiar with the sites he identifies to mark where you are to turn. Try as you may to follow what he said, you get lost before you are anywhere near the location you are seeking. But suppose the person we ask says, “Come, I’ll take you there.” In that case the person to us is the way, and we cannot miss it. That is what Jesus does for us. He not only gives us advice and directions – He takes us by the hand and leads us, and He strengthens and guides us personally every day. He doesn’t tell us about the way; He is the Way.



If we are looking for peace, Jesus shows us the way. If we are seeking the Father, Jesus reveals the truth about Him. If we are longing for fullness of life, in Jesus we find it. He is present with us in the midst of troubled times. But even greater, He gives us the promised hope of life eternally in the place He has prepared just with us in mind.

Prayer of Commitment

Dear Jesus, thank You for being the way into the presence of the Father wherein I find peace for my troubled heart. Amen.



Hope to see you this Sunday!



In His Love,


David & Susan










No comments:

Post a Comment