Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Class Lesson May 11, 2014



I’ve blown it. Is there hope for me?



We all need hope. We’ve all made mistakes. We feel shame or regret over something in our present or past. We’ve all tried to fix things in our lives and we’ve failed. Even those among us who seem to have it all together have areas of hurt in their lives. If we’re not careful, we can be blinded by an onslaught of mistakes, shame, and regret. Face enough of that and we can lose sight of hope.



Let Hope In is a six-week study that doesn’t let us off the hook – it acknowledges that we’ve blown it and we do need hope – but it also shows us that we are never beyond hope. We can have a sure hope regardless of our past. When we let hope in, we can move beyond the regrets and shame. A hope-filled life is not a problem-free life. But we are no longer bound or hindered by the past.




For the next six weeks, we’ll consider how we can know and experience this kind of hope. We’ll also discover how this kind of hope can transform us on a daily basis.





Let Hope In
Click Here





Our fourth lesson in this series is entitled, "Hope Expressed."

  
Click Here
 
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


Gratitude is our response to the hope we have in Christ.



Who is the most thankful person you know?
In 2012, a super-storm devastated the northeast corner of the U.S. leaving many people without a home. Carey, a 31-year-old single mother was one of those people. One day as she was searching for clothes for her toddler in a local thrift store, a man approached with a handful of $100 bills. His words, “Don’t give up hope. It’s going to be OK.” Carey broke down. With tears in her eyes, she hugged the stranger. The moment changed her life forever – not because of her current needs but because it filled her with hope when she had none left. The mysterious stranger? He’s a wealthy businessman who travels to cities affected by natural disasters giving out cash to those in need. He says it’s his form of giving back.

 
What does it look like when you’re filled with hope? When hope is expressed, it looks like gratitude. Sometimes its small acts of kindness; other times it’s big ones.

We may not be ungrateful, but we can forget to be grateful. We get used to the things we have been given and we begin to take them for granted. Believers can do that in their relationship with Christ. The longer we have been believers, the more we can get used to the blessings and benefits of knowing Christ. Over time, we can forget what it was like not to have that hope in Him. Psalm 138 reminds us of the hope we have and pulls us into an attitude of thankfulness and gratitude to God.

We do not know when David wrote Psalm 138, but this psalm reflects a lifetime of trust in God. God is exalted above all others and He protected and delivered David in all circumstances. David expressed a thankfulness and trust that God would fulfill all His plans for him.



I. THANK GOD FOR WHAT? – PSALM 138:1-3

1 I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing Your praise before the heavenly beings. 2 I will bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks to Your name for Your constant love and truth. You have exalted Your name and Your promise above everything else. 3 On the day I called, You answered me; You increased strength within me.


Some things inevitable go together. For example, you automatically close your eyes when you sneeze. Have you ever tried to sneeze with your eyes open? Most people can’t do it – even though it’s not true that your eyeballs will pop out if you do it! The reflexes involved in sneezing demand that you close your eyes.


In the same way, praise and gratitude automatically go together. It’s impossible to give praise to God without being grateful for God. Psalm 138 captures a moment of authentic praise and gratitude.


“I’m in love! I’m in love! And I don’t care who knows about it!” that’s the expression of love we see in films. David is not ashamed to share a similar feeling in his praise of God. David shouted out, “I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing You praise before the heavenly beings.”




We see here three elements of praise:

  1. Passion. Notice the emphatic nature of David’s praise. His praise and thanks were expressed with all his heart.
  2. Openness. David didn’t express his praise privately. He had an audience and he was willing to expose his heart for God before anyone and everyone.
  3. Expression. David wrote. He sang. He shouted. He bowed. David engaged his whole being in his praise of God.



What was David grateful for? David was thankful for who God is and for what God has said. He was thankful for God’s character and because God had revealed His character to His people.


We often assume that people know we’re grateful for them, but we need to express that gratitude. When it comes to expressing thanks to God, He obviously knows we’re grateful whether we express it or not. We need to follow David’s example and express our gratitude to God. This helps us keep everything in perspective. My gratitude is a reminder to myself of Who is the source of all I have.


 

What are the benefits of outwardly expressing our gratitude to God? 




Thank God for hope grounded in His love and truth:
  • The Lord is deserving of our deepest praise.
  • The Lord acts toward us with love and faithfulness; therefore, we can count on Him to be compassionate and dependable.
  • When we cry out to the Lord, He hears and responds.
  • Our lives are made stronger through our relationship with the Lord.
  • Because of His love, faithfulness, and responsiveness, we know the Lord to be a reliable source of hope.





II. THANK GOD FOR WHAT? – PSALM 138:4-6

4 All the kings on earth will give You thanks, Lord, when they hear what You have promised. 5 They will sing of the Lord’s ways, for the Lord’s glory is great. 6 Though the Lord is exalted, He takes note of the humble; but He knows the haughty from a distance.


“All the kings on earth will give You thanks, Lord.”

Sure, it’s easy to be grateful when you’re a king. You’re in charge. You have money. Everything is going well for you! That’s not how my life is.

Project 7 is a company that donates more than 50 percent of its profits from the sales of bottled water, gum, mints, and coffee to help meet seven critical needs all over the world. Tyler Merrick, founder and CEO, once encouraged his friends to consider that others may look at our lives and see their dream job, their dream house, and their dream life. No matter how bad our day may be, someone would gladly trade his life for ours. To another, our life seems to be like that of a king.


The wisest kings realized they serve One who is greater. Kings and others in high positions can praise God because they recognize His glory. The same can be said for those who may be at the opposite end of the spectrum. God “takes note of the humble.” Humility and lowliness have to do with the posture of the heart toward God.


But gratitude fades when you begin to take for granted what God has given or done in your life. You might even think He owes those gifts to you. You would then take on an entitlement attitude. Whenever you feel entitled to have what you have, you can’t be grateful for it. As long as you feel that what you have – or what you should have – is due you, you won’t be grateful to God.


When I arrived home one day, I saw my kids’ bikes lying in the driveway so that I couldn’t park in the garage. I got so angry as was ready to tell them a thing or two. But then God reminded me that my life was a gift. Not only did I have kids, who loved me, but I had a nice house and I even had a house for my car (a garage). Expressing gratitude and having the discipline to remain in a state of praise helps ward off these enemies of gratitude. 




What are some things people in our stage of life feel entitled to?








Thank God that He remembers us in our lowly state and lifts us up:

  • The Lord is great and glorious.
  • If not now, the day will come when the whole earth will resound with praise and see the great glory of the Lord.
  • God comes in love, grace, and power to the humble, but He refuses the proud.







III. THANK GOD FOR WHAT? – PSALM 138:7-8

7 If I walk into the thick of danger, You will preserve my life from the anger of my enemies. You will extend Your hand; Your right hand will save me. 8 The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. Lord, Your love is eternal; do not abandon the work of Your hands.


Verses 7-8 point to God’s protection. When we’re being protected we don’t usually notice it. Every day parents protect their children in ways that go unnoticed by the children. God continually protects us in ways we don’t notice. David said in verse 7, “If I walk into the thick of danger, You will preserve my life.”


There are two types of protection: During rescue someone carries you out of harm’s way, or keeps you out of harm’s way. During equipping someone makes you strong enough to face obstacles.


The more we become aware of the gifts, opportunities, and protection God gives, the more grateful we become and the more naturally we praise Him. The reality is that, no matter who we are or no matter what we’ve done, God’s kindness shines on us. God’s mercy and His graciousness is on us all.


God protected David from the wrath of his enemies. David experienced God’s protection from both hostile nations and individual foes. We face equally dangerous enemies such as greed, jealousy, and pride. God works on our behalf against the forces of evil that lurk around us and the sinful desires within us.


Verse 8 explains the “why” behind God’s protection and provision. Certainly, God protects and provides for us because of His love and kindness toward us. But God also works on our behalf to “fulfill His purpose for us.” God provides for us so that we can do what He created us to do. As the apostle Paul said, “For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them” (Eph. 2:10). 






When has someone protected you without your awareness of the time?



What can you point to as evidence that God has not abandoned you? 






Thank God for His continual protection:

  • We have hope in the Lord because He protects us from that which would destroy us and saves us to life in Him.
  • The Lord has a plan for us that will fit into His eternal purpose.
  • The love and mercy of the Lord are everlasting.





Live it Out

How can gratitude grounded in hope be part of your life this week?

  1. Record it. Gratitude is a discipline. Once a day create a list that reads: “I am grateful for _______ today.” See how this simple act shapes your mindset about God’s provision. Use the journal space on the next page for the first list.
  2. Say it. Let gratitude permeate your conversations by speaking about what you are grateful for, rather than whining about how you wish things had gone.
  3. Share it. Choose someone to love for Jesus’ sake. Do something this week that clearly communicates your gratitude to God: a gift or an act of service.




Prayer of Commitment

I praise You boldly and wholeheartedly for You are a great and glorious God. Thank You for the promise to fulfill Your purpose in my life, for therein is unending hope. Amen.



With this lesson in mind be sure to express your gratitude to all the Mom's in your life! Looking forward to see you this Sunday!

In His Love,

David & Susan













No comments:

Post a Comment