Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Class Lesson July 6, 2013



Hey Gang,



We continue this week with Bible stories that fit together to tell one story – God’s Story. This 13-week study helps us understand the Bible’s story, our place in the story, and its implications for our lives today. Why study this series? Because it can lead us not only to understand the Bible’s overarching message but also to encounter the Lord God who is its ultimate Author. After all, it is His story.


The lessons in this series are:


June 2 - God Begins the Story
June 9 - God Chooses a People
June 16 - God Delivers His People
June 23 - God Instructs His People
June 30 - God Dwells Among His People
July 7 - God Establishes a Kingdom for His People
July 14 - God Disciplines His People
July 21 - God Restores His People
July 28 - God Promises the Messiah
August 4 - God Sends His Son
August 11 - Jesus Is Crucified and Raised
August 18 - Jesus Commissions His Church
August 25 - God Completes the Story
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Life Goal
Make plans for your life based on God’s greater purposes.





I. GOOD NAME, SAFE PLACE – 2 SAMUEL 7:8-11a

8 “Now this is what you are to say to My servant David: ‘This is what the Lord of Hosts says: I took you from the pasture and from following the sheep to be ruler over My people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. I will make a name for you like that of the greatest in the land. 10 I will establish a place for My people Israel and plant them, so that they may live there and not be disturbed again. Evildoers will not afflict them as they have done 11 ever since the day I ordered judges to be over My people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies.
 
 

MAKE A NAME: Names in the Bible reveal character and nature. Think about what is revealed by these names: Lord of Hosts – Ruler of Heaven, David – Beloved, Israel – He struggled with God. Many of us have made life plans based on making a name for ourselves. This is really senseless when God has purposed to make a name for us.



How have you stayed true to your name as a Christ follower?
  • During times of betrayal.
  • When others disobey God.
  • When battles come in the way of physical, spiritual, and emotional.


How does simply doing right and refusing to do wrong help this process? Why is there never a time for attack, cruelty, condescension, or deceit? What do those do to one’s name? How does remembering who you are help you make choices you’re proud of?

1. God continues to be at work on behalf of His people in accordance with His greater purpose.

2. Even as we apply ourselves to serving the Lord, the blessings we enjoy in this life come from Him.

3. The Lord has even more in store for His people as His promise, plan, and purpose come to pass.





II. STEADY DISCIPLINE, GOOD LOVE – 2 SAMUEL 7:11b-17

“‘The Lord declares to you: The Lord Himself will make a house for you. 12 When your time comes and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up after you your descendant, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He will build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be a father to him, and he will be a son to Me. When he does wrong, I will discipline him with a human rod and with blows from others. 15 But My faithful love will never leave him as I removed it from Saul; I removed him from your way. 16 Your house and kingdom will endure before Me forever, and your throne will be established forever.’” 17 Nathan spoke all these words and this entire vision to David. 
 
NOW AND LATER: Biblical promises and prophecies often have immediate and ultimate fulfillment's. The promises in this passage, known as the Davidic Covenant, were immediately fulfilled in David’s son, Solomon. They were ultimately fulfilled by God’s Son, Jesus, who would do no wrong or need to be disciplined. Instead, He took on Himself the judgment we all deserve so we could live in God’s eternal kingdom.



What other promises of God have you seen fulfilled now, and what promises are you waiting on for a more complete fulfillment?



Evaluate your life plans – are they all about you or about God’s eternal kingdom?
  • We’ve got to pull back the camera on our plans and look at life from God’s bigger, better perspective.
  • Just because plans are good does not necessarily mean they are God’s.
  • We must be willing to listen when God speaks to us about our plans and readjust them according to His purposes, always making sure they are based on the Person of Jesus Christ.


1. God’s plans and desires are often different from our own.

2. God’s plans bring greater glory to Himself and greater blessing to His people.

3. God’s kingdom is forever.





III. GREAT GOD, GOOD PEOPLE – 2 SAMUEL 7:22-24
22 This is why You are great, Lord God. There is no one like You, and there is no God besides You, as all we have heard confirms. 23 And who is like Your people Israel? God came to one nation on earth in order to redeem a people for Himself, to make a name for Himself, and to perform for them great and awesome acts, driving out nations and their gods before Your people You redeemed for Yourself from Egypt. 24 You established Your people Israel to be Your own people forever, and You, Lord, have become their God. 
 
 
IN A NUTSHELL: God’s Story is summed up in one sweeping statement: “The Lord God through His Christ is graciously building a kingdom of redeemed people for their joy and for His own glory.”



All good stories are comprised of several major elements. Identify those elements in God’s Story:



The main subject - _________________

The main protagonist - ______________

The major activity - ________________

The main object - __________________

Two specific goals - ________________




Why didn’t God build a temple earlier? Why didn’t God send Jesus earlier?




1. The Lord is due praise for His greatness and for what He has done on our behalf.

2. God acts with purpose to bring glory to His name.

3. God acts to redeem for Himself a people who will join Him in His work.

4. God’s desire is that we be His people and that we know Him to be our God.




Prayer of Commitment

Lord, I pray as You taught us to pray: “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven” (Matt. 6:10). Amen.



Hope everyone has a great Sunday - thanks again to Mark Krohl for teaching these past two weeks!
 
 
In His Love,
 
David & Susan
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment