Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Class Lesson May 27, 2012

Does it really matter?



Hey Gang, 

Remember this week is Memorial Day! Please remember our heroes serving our country. 






I hope you have enjoyed this legacy series from Utopia! At the end of the seven-day journey Johnny brings Luke to the Cemetery and he challenges him to bury for good all the lies in his life that he believed were so important. He challenges him to begin answering to a higher calling, a place beyond tradition, a place of truth.


Luke's significance in life would not be measured by a golf score or how successful he might become. Significance will be defined by your faith, hope and love.



Click Here







I. WE ARE COMPELLED TO LOVE – 2 CORINTHIANS 5:14-15

14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.


Who are we to live for, and why? What does it mean to not live for yourself? How do we teach this to our children? 
 
  • God invented love. While living on earth, Jesus Christ modeled how love behaves.
  • So as we let Christ’s love compel us, we will show true love.
  • I, or my ideas, are at the center of any sin. Try to name a sin that doesn’t start with self-focus.
  • God’s love is not merely to be received and enjoyed; it must be shared and multiplied.




Why are we compelled to love? Because…


1. God loves us.

2. God commands that we love.

3. It’s how we love God.

4. It shows we are saved.

5. It’s practice for eternity.

6. It’s a witness to the world.




Why did Johnny ask Luke in the beginning to spend seven days in Utopia? Was it to fix his game?
 
  • Johnny knew that Luke’s problem wasn’t performance – it was a heart problem.
  • He needed hope, faith, and love in something besides a game.





II. WHAT MATTER’S MOST? – GALATIANS 5:6 (CEV)

6 If you are a follower of Christ Jesus, ... All that matters is your faith that makes you love others.

Have you ever wondered what matters most to God? 




“What the World Needs Now is Love... It’s the only thing that there’s just too little of.”
Who sang this? Jackie DeShannon


Would you say that this is true today?
  • In the 60’s and 70’s Love was a common theme: It was a common theme of the music of the day and much of the political scene as well. Love was viewed by some as the answer to all of our social, political and world problems.
  





III. LOVE IS THE ANSWER – MATTHEW 22:37-40
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


Jesus summarized the entire Bible in two principles: Loving God and Loving Others.




The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 13:13 that three things will continue forever? Which is the greatest of the three?

1. Faith

2. Hope

3. Love



As adult believers, we have an impact on those that follow that will outlast our days. In Utopia a voice of truth resides, it's a place beyond tradition, a place of buried lies and unearthed truths.





S F T Everyone!







Prayer of Commitment 
Lord, help me share and show Your love to those persons for whom I am accountable. Amen 







Well, it's been a good series and I hope everyone has enjoyed it as much as I have teaching it - guess I can't wear my golf attire to Church next week! Anyway, we begin a new 13 week quarter next week with three monthly themes:
  1. Apathy - Who Cares?
  2. Living Beyond Yourself
  3. The Person God Uses
  
Hope to see you Sunday! 


In His Love, 



David & Susan 
































No comments:

Post a Comment