Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Class Lesson January 9, 2011


Hey Gang,

Last Sunday we began a 5-week series on "The Roads Less Traveled" taken from Robert Frost's poem:

Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.

This could also be called our "Ventura Highway" series for those of you that remember this epic tune. Anyway our series lists these "roads less traveled" as disciplines in our Christian life to be followed. Chewin' on a piece of grass walkin' down the road, tell me how long you gonna stay here Joe, I'm sorry where was I, OK so, if we will commit to venture down these less traveled roads - our choice will make all the difference in our spiritual growth, our walk with God, and our fruitfulness in God's kingdom. This sounds like a worthy lists of New Year resolutions to me, think about it - I will mature in my faith, grow in a closer walk with God and become more useful in His kingdom ... I'm motivated - how about you?

Last week we began with the road of community. Now the church is a community of Christian faith, hope, and love. The church has some things in common that help bind the group of people together, but there are also differences that exists within the church like spiritual gifts, ages, cultures, and levels of maturity in faith. Paul taught us last week the importance of unity within the church, of oneness amongst the body of believers and that our diversity is one way we grow as Christians - by learning how to love other people that have different gifts, opinions, maturity levels, and perspectives than ours - this is how we learn. You see, we learn lessons from others about making our marriage work, raising kids, working in our jobs with integrity, and how we should handle conflict like Jesus would - all by being together in community! This is how community works.

This week we will attempt to venture down the road of humility as Jesus exemplified when He washed the disciples' feet the night before He was crucified. 


What does your Ventura Highway walk say about you?
 

Which verb best describes the way you walk down the road of life? Some people swagger down life's road expecting others to exclaim, "Wow, look at him go!" or "Isn't she something?" Others skulk down the road hoping nobody will notice them or require anything of them. The swaggers think they own the road. The skulkers don't think they're worthy enough to be on the road. 

There is a better way to walk. God's people can stride confidently down the road less traveled. It's a walk of purpose. It's a walk of humility. It's a walk that will make all the difference in how you get along with people and yourself. So, as you stride (stroll) through your lesson this week, you will notice three road signs to follow: How is humility defined in Philippians 2:1-4? How is humility taught in Luke 14:7-11? And how is humility exemplified in John 13:3-5, 14-15?

Now where are you on this subject right now? Maybe you are thinking, I really don't need this lesson - I'm already humble and quite proud of it! Or maybe you are like this humble fellow below:

Wherever you are - we all can use and need a dose of Christlike humility, so take a walk down this lonely road this week (bet you won't run into anybody) and let's talk about your venture this Sunday.

In His Love,

David & Susan






 







   

No comments:

Post a Comment