Our Prayer

Our Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against You and that my sins separate me from You. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to You for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Savior and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of You. My greatest purpose in life is to follow Your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Class Lesson January 23, 2011


Hey Gang,

Last week's lesson on service was pretty eye opening with Rob Bell's video on just how blessed America really is and the fact that God has blessed each of us for a reason - so that we will bless others, especially those in need. Now if you didn't get to see the video, you can watch it below by clicking on the link.

Click Here 

We have been saved to do good works, the Bible says, and the evidence of our faith is not our talk but our walk - it's the action we commit to in serving others. Our lesson pointed out that serving is not a do-good-to-feel-good action for followers of Christ; it's a way of life. Now, maybe you are beginning to think that there's a good reason why these roads are so less traveled. Maybe you are beginning to think that what started as 5 separate roads are intertwined so much that maybe they are all ways of walking down the same road - Jesus said it's a narrow road and that few will travel it. We began this journey together in community, which was God's design for us to travel. We learned as we walked along that humility is the best way to travel this road in order to help ourselves and to help others in and out of our community. You might even have heard along the way that this life journey you are on is not about YOU, imagine that. Those of you that are walking this new road of humility are the ones with the greatest means of serving God and others, but it will require a sacrifice and that's our lesson this week.

Maybe now you are thinking, "Can I stop here and not go any farther?" The answer is NO, you have to finish the walk. Well look, sacrifice - that's one of those ancient principles that's not really logical or practical today, I mean think about it. Or maybe you're thinking, I plan on sacrificing to follow Jesus when I don't have so many other responsibilities. Hey, I donate some money and time; surely that's enough. Or how about this, I have too much to lose to commit myself fully to Christ - yea that's it...too much to lose. OK I know that didn't sound very good, so what this sacrifice going to require of me - the short answer is E V E R Y T H I N G.  Now, you've heard this before, so stay with me here.

We will begin in Luke 9:23-24, 57-62 and see how Jesus defines sacrifice. You should question what it really means to deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Christ? Why? Because Jesus says that you must do these things to follow Him. You should also question how serious Jesus is about your relationship with Him and your family. We will then take a look at Luke 21:1-4 and see how sacrifice is best demonstrated. You will probably begin to question what you already give. And finally we will hear from Paul in Romans 12:1-2 on how we should repeat our sacrifice daily in hopes that it will transform each of us by the renewing of our minds. 

This will be the hardest road we have traveled, in fact I'm not sure any of us have been down this road before - it's a difficult road to walk. You see, salvation includes gift and demand. It comes through God's grace; it includes the obligation of ethical living that reflects Christ's character. When it comes to sacrifice, how can we discover that the hard is what makes it great?

Now if you're thinking about sleeping in this Sunday - I wouldn't do that! Stay on the road and let's see where it leads. This lesson is not for the faint at heart, but it is for the heart! Remember Elton John's song Sacrifice? I'll close with his video and pray we don't see sacrifice - just a simple word.

Click Here

I hope that everyone has had a blessed week and that you are preparing for Sunday's message from God's Word.

In His Love,

David & Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment